North Chagrin Reservation

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ElijahW

Re: North Chagrin Reservation

Post by ElijahW » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:09 pm

Dan,

Thanks for the descriptions and the great photos. I'd like to get out there sometime myself. I concur with everybody else that your questionable tree is likely a tupelo or black gum. I'm familiar with two very similar trees here in central NY. They're right next to each other in a swampy area surrounded by lots of younger trees, and at first I assumed they were cottonwoods (because of the deep furrowed bark). Eventually I took a closer look at the leaves, form, and fruit (small, blue, and juicy) and determined that they were really old black gum in an odd place. Amazing what you see when you really take the time to look.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:26 pm

ENYS-

For those out there interested in linguistics, the "Chagrin" River is not in reference to a sadness, but rather a corruption of a word that meant "clear water" in the Iroquoian Erie language.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:57 pm

This might be something those of you in NE Ohio might find interesting:

Map and description of northeastern Ohio (1884)

http://www.archive.org/details/mapdescriptionof00heck
Author: Heckewelder, John Gottlieb Ernestus, 1743-1823
Publisher: Cleveland, O. : William W. Williams
Language: English
Call number: 31735060392705
Digitizing sponsor: University of Pittsburgh Library System
Book contributor: University of Pittsburgh Library System
Collection: university_pittsburgh; americana
Notes: No TOC.
mapdescriptionof00heck.pdf
(863.08 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query ... pe%3Atexts

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:15 pm

Ed-

Thanks---I just today checked out a compilation, including excerpts from Heckewelder.

Steve

dantheman9758

Post by dantheman9758 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:44 pm

I've taken my measuring tape, tripod, and camera on the past few hikes.

Click on image to see its original size

10' 6" Blackgum (and Dixie the tired basset hound)

12'7" Sugar Maple

13' American Beech

13'1" Tulip

17'11" Red Oak

18' 3" Red Oak

Plenty More Updates (or perhaps a new thread) coming soon. Especially after the collaboration this coming Tuesday to measure heights.

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:24 pm

WOW! What a great place! Those red oaks are amazing!

I sometimes forget that the Appalachians drag out into Ohio. Looks in a lot of ways like classic Appalachian territory.

Also, thanks for posting yourself in the shots of the trees. I like to see human figures with the trees for the sake of perspective. What a grand forest!

dantheman9758

Post by dantheman9758 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:10 pm

The area here is similar I think, but it's got its own twist. The dry upland forest here sits on 125' of glacial till (atop a shale bedrock). The dozens of tiny streams that flow east to the Chagrin River have carved straight down to this bedrock. Leaving an otherwise flat land sliced up by extremely steep, deep, and narrow ravines. The ravines are so hemmed in that they seem to have their own climate. Photograph 1, and then the last photo, are from within the ravines. If you notice, they look like a different place than the rest of the dry upland forest - they're very green and rainforest-like. I haven't been to say, a PA wilderness (In the Appalachians) since I was a teenager, but this does look more like PA than the typical second growth forests in Ohio.

And those Oaks must like something in the soil haha
Last edited by dantheman9758 on Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:17 pm

Dan,

I would really like to see you Steve Galehouse, Randy Brown, and Dale Luthringer get together and pull together an omnibus report on these stream canyons and associated forest that drain into Lake Erie They all have a very similar environment with narrow canyons cutting through the thick glacial till and in many cases down into the softer shales beneath. They have similar climatic regimes. Similar tree species.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:38 pm

Ed, Dan-

I'd love to do this, with anyone interested. The forests associated with the creeks draining into the Chagrin River have a different, more northerly aspect than those just slightly south---I don't think we'll find any hackberry, paw-paw, or Ohio buckeye at North Chagrin, but just a few miles south and in a different drainage system these species are found.

Steve

dantheman9758

Post by dantheman9758 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:04 pm

Ed, Steve

I'll help with what I can, and that's an interesting observation Steve, I certainly haven't seen Ohio buckeye in these streams. I have yet to learn to identify the other 2 species, but you could be right about them as well. Does where your referring to drain to the Cuyahoga River? If it is a bit to the south-west maybe the "snow-belt" dictates some of those observations, if it is only a few miles directly south than I'm stumped

Dan

Return to “Ohio”