North Chagrin Reservation

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Re: North Chagrin Reservation

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:20 pm

Dan, ENTS-

Here are a few photos taken at North Chagrin a couple of years ago, during a very brief visit:

https://picasaweb.google.com/srgalehous ... directlink

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

dantheman9758

Post by dantheman9758 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:33 pm

Wow Excellent photo's Steve!,

They far better illustrate tree heights than mine do, I've got to stop taking so many pictures in the summer!

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:59 pm

Dan, Steve, Rand,

I really would like to see this place on my trip first week of August. Any of you free for a day? Unfortunately, weekends are not an option for me. I am open to other sites as well but this thread is really inspiring!

Will

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:23 pm

Will-

I'm not certain of my schedule at this point, but will likely be off from work and available on Tuesday 8-2. I'll confirm as soon as I know the firm schedule.

Steve

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Dan, ENTS-

A few photos from South Chagrin:

https://picasaweb.google.com/srgalehous ... directlink

Steve

dantheman9758

Post by dantheman9758 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:38 pm

Will, Steve

If Tuesday ends up working out for Will, I could actually make it there between 8:00am - 11:00am. Actually I'd be willing to take a day off of work to make it. I've made maps of the Old Growth regions. If my schedule can't line up with either of yours for any reasons I will try to scan my maps and send them to you two. My maps aren't accurate enough to pinpoint singular tree's, but they do have all the trails marked for easy navigating.

Dan

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:27 pm

I'm there! Let's take this to regular email: tree_hunter@bellsouth.net

dantheman9758

Post by dantheman9758 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:25 pm

Steve,

I'm new to lidar so I could use your second opinion on the parks hotspots for tree height. I've highlighted what I've found to have the highest averages. Just about everything on the north end of the park (above oxbow lane) is useless for tall tree's. I half expected it but I was at least hoping the white pine area would be tall. Looks like the park over-estimated their avg height by 20-25 feet haha. There's just one ravine in the northern half, which I've highlighted, that had some questionable hits above 140. The terrain is tough to read, so there's a chance it could be overhanging limbs above the steep-sided ravine, I'm not good at interpreting it.

Not sure if you've gotten to it yet but the middle/southern half, on the eastern edge, is the most promising section of the park. The canopy in those ravines more commonly will spike above 140. One spot I hit above 150. But again, many of these could be branch overhang or inflated numbers if the tree isn't down to the lowest measure point. The middle plateaus have a some good spikes above 130, and if I'm not mistaken at least one went up to 138. With the smooth terrain, I'm confident with those numbers.

Finally, the southern most ravine that I've highlighted in red was the most promising location. I'm hitting up to 159. I've hit at, or above 150 in 3 spots so far. One spot genuinely looked like a tree in the middle of the ravine, with no hill-side foliage near it. The other two are hard to interpret. I will try to hike to a few ravines to see how much of these hits could be overhanging tree's. If you get the chance, let me know if you find anything in these area's, or can better interpret some of the shapes in the ravines.
Chagrin Birds Eye Map.jpg
Dan

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:53 pm

Dan-

The second box from the top holds the tallest trees based on LiDAR data, with 157' the best. Any area of the "Connecticut Western Reserve" with trees of 150' or taller is exceptional. I'm very much looking forward to meeting up with you, Rand, and Will at North Chagrin.

Steve

dantheman9758

Post by dantheman9758 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:08 pm

Steve

Wow, excellent find!, I know that particular area well, this is great news. With most of the trees at this site between 100-125 I can understand how rare a tall tree is around here. I really appreciate the help, and it sounds like this will be a good trip. Will you be able to mark the tall trees on a map, or will we be doing some guesswork to find them?

Dan

(P.S. Not to derail the thread, but I also need help using Fusion/lidar. I just use the magnify tool, and I'm working with the raw data. I think there are tools/tricks to make things easier for spotting tree's, no?. Got any pointers? Email me some tips if you've got any. dantheman9758@yahoo.com)

Return to “Ohio”