A good day tree-ing...thanks, Stefan

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Post Reply
User avatar
Steve Galehouse
Posts: 700
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:50 pm

A good day tree-ing...thanks, Stefan

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:37 pm

ENTS-

Today I met up with one of our newer members, Stefan Radivoyevitch, and we explored two areas very familiar and dear to me. We met at Sand Run in north Akron, and proceeded immediately to the state height record tuliptree, the "Bob Leverett Tuliptree", which is also the state height record for all trees in Ohio. A quick and dirty measurement showed the tree to have increased to 168'+, but I think this might be inflated due to sight line at the base. Anyway, it's not shrunk from storm damage since the last time it was measured out-of-leaf. After viewing the tall tulip, Stefan and I went "off roading" into a hemlock ravine that felt extremely remote despite the proximity to suburbia. Hemlocks in this area Rand Brown and I measured to 125' last fall.

After Sand Run, Stefan and I had a nice lunch(thanks again, Stefan), and proceeded to Ritchie Ledges about 10 minutes away. I showed Stefan the Carolina hemlocks, as well as exceptional cucumber magnolias and black cherries. I'm thoroughly glad to to have another ENTS type in the immediate area.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

User avatar
bbeduhn
Posts: 1151
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:23 pm

Re: A good day tree-ing...thanks, Stefan

Post by bbeduhn » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:42 am

Carolina hemlocks in northeast Ohio?

Stefan, are you any relation to Yovan (Lou) Radivoyevitch?

User avatar
Steve Galehouse
Posts: 700
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:50 pm

Re: A good day tree-ing...thanks, Stefan

Post by Steve Galehouse » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:37 pm

bbeduhn wrote:Carolina hemlocks in northeast Ohio?
Brian-

Yes, there is a reproducing population of Carolina hemlocks in northeastern Ohio, which I have been observing for the last 40 years. The ODNR thinks it's from a CCC project from the 1930's; I like to think it might be a relict disjunct population. Either way it's garnered attention from the Camcore project of NCSU. I think identifying unusual populations of trees, and pursuing why they exist, is at the core of the ENTS mission.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

User avatar
bbeduhn
Posts: 1151
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:23 pm

Re: A good day tree-ing...thanks, Stefan

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:23 am

That would be something if they were there naturally! We don't even have them in the Smokies.

User avatar
sradivoy
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: A good day tree-ing...thanks, Stefan

Post by sradivoy » Sat May 31, 2014 10:16 am

Steve Galehouse wrote:ENTS-

Today I met up with one of our newer members, Stefan Radivoyevitch, and we explored two areas very familiar and dear to me. We met at Sand Run in north Akron, and proceeded immediately to the state height record tuliptree, the "Bob Leverett Tuliptree", which is also the state height record for all trees in Ohio. A quick and dirty measurement showed the tree to have increased to 168'+, but I think this might be inflated due to sight line at the base. Anyway, it's not shrunk from storm damage since the last time it was measured out-of-leaf. After viewing the tall tulip, Stefan and I went "off roading" into a hemlock ravine that felt extremely remote despite the proximity to suburbia. Hemlocks in this area Rand Brown and I measured to 125' last fall.

After Sand Run, Stefan and I had a nice lunch(thanks again, Stefan), and proceeded to Ritchie Ledges about 10 minutes away. I showed Stefan the Carolina hemlocks, as well as exceptional cucumber magnolias and black cherries. I'm thoroughly glad to to have another ENTS type in the immediate area.

Steve
Steve,
After a three year hiatus, the pleasure was mine. Last night was the first time I noticed this thread after reading through virtually all the old Ohio posts. I enjoyed the excursion to this today - my one and only tree measuring experience. A very belated thank you!

-Stefan

User avatar
sradivoy
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: A good day tree-ing...thanks, Stefan

Post by sradivoy » Sat May 31, 2014 10:18 am

bbeduhn wrote:Carolina hemlocks in northeast Ohio?

Stefan, are you any relation to Yovan (Lou) Radivoyevitch?

That would be my younger brother of three years.

User avatar
bbeduhn
Posts: 1151
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:23 pm

Re: A good day tree-ing...thanks, Stefan

Post by bbeduhn » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:34 am

Stefan,
I went to school and played baseball with Yovan at Roxboro and Heights High. A company I used to work for did some work with him in the late 90's.

This tree hobby can get to be quite engrossing. I hope you continue to meet up with Steve and Rand and others.
Brian

User avatar
sradivoy
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: A good day tree-ing...thanks, Stefan

Post by sradivoy » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:42 pm

bbeduhn wrote:Stefan,
I went to school and played baseball with Yovan at Roxboro and Heights High. A company I used to work for did some work with him in the late 90's.

This tree hobby can get to be quite engrossing. I hope you continue to meet up with Steve and Rand and others.
Brian
Brian,

I'll send Lou this link. I'm sure he'll get A big kick out of it.

-Stefan

PS. I was down in Ashville five years ago. Nice area. The mile high drive between Ashville and the Smokies reminded me of the west. I aslo like Lindville Gorge. I did a day hike in the Smokies looking for the Boogerman. Didn't see it but saw a bear instead. Incredible acceleration. Glad it went the other way. I'll be stalking the Stag Branch the next time I'm down there.

Post Reply

Return to “Ohio”