Cucumber-tree in the suburbs

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tsharp

Cucumber-tree in the suburbs

Post by tsharp » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:41 am

ENTS: I recently had the privilege of measuring a large cucumber in Stark County, North Canton, Ohio. The girt was 24.5'. height 90.5', and crown spread 84' which gives it a AF score of 406. The tree is in a back yard and the crown extends over two neighbors yards. This is the AF National Champ and a picture can be seen on Ohio Big Tree web page:

Click on image to see its original size
I have been so used to getting lower heights when measuring behind other people that I was somewhat taken aback that my height measurement was 11.5' higher. In a brief conversation with Brian Riley, the Ohio State big tree coordinator he confirmed that he used a tape and clinometer for his height determination. Even though I was rushed because of an approaching thunderstorm and not ideal conditions(gusty winds) i believe i got an accurate height. This tree is worth visiting. It is only about 2 miles off of Exit 109 of I-77. It is in a gated development but I had no trouble gaining access and the owner graciously allowed me to park in her driveway and measure the tree. Steve, Rand if you get a chance I would love for someone to double check on the height.
Turner Sharp
Last edited by tsharp on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Galehouse

Re: Cucumber-tree in the suburbs

Post by Steve Galehouse » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:28 pm

Turner-

I've wanted to visit this tree for some time, it's just a little over an hour away from my home; I hope to get to it this Spring or Summer. The photo looks like it had its top blown off by a storm some years ago, and I think your 90' height measurement is certainly more valid than the recorded 79'. I wish I knew you were going to be in the area---you were 15 minutes from the site that holds the tallest tree in the state, a tulip at 163.72' , as well as the tallest recorded red oak, at 146' and bitternut, at 141'. Also the tallest recorded Ohio cucumber at 126' is at site within 20 minutes of the fat North Canton cucumber.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Rand

Post by Rand » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:28 pm

The broken top I think is the key to the tangent method brian used underestimating the height. When you shoot a branch that is closer to you than the trunk, the height is overestimated. If the measurement was taken from the same vantage point as the picture, the top branch was further from him than the base, leading to an underestimation of the height.

tsharp

Post by tsharp » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:52 pm

Rand: I believe you nailed it. The top I shot with the laser is to right of main bole and far toward the back. I measured the tree from same direction but probably another 50' away.|The sprig I got a bounce back would not be visible from that angle after leaf out. I forgot to ask Brian what time of year he made the measurements but every picture I have seen has been after leaf out.
Steve: Your findings in Northern Ohio have really been intriguing. I would like to visit a couple of them, especially the Yellow-poplar. My annual forays up there have unfortunately have been to visit Cleveland Clinic for an arthritis problem. I call it my annual visit to where the sun never shines. So far out of 6 trips over 5 years I have only seen the sunshine for one hour north of Cambridge.
TS

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Turner-

Let me know the next time you plan to head up North, and I'll do my best to arrange my schedule for a meeting. The tall tulip site is just 10 minutes off of I-77, in north Akron.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Return to “Ohio”