Everett Woods-154.5' sycamore, Ohio ht. record

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Everett Woods-154.5' sycamore, Ohio ht. record

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Ents-

Today Rand Brown and I explored Everett Woods in Summit County, Ohio, an area I visited quickly a few weeks ago, and an area which held some tall trees according to LiDAR data. We spent about five hours measuring, staying primarily in two narrow valleys, and we weren't disappointed: we found what is likely the tallest recorded sycamore for Ohio at 154.5', a tuliptree at 154.4', a black walnut at 133', a black oak at 129', and a northern red oak at 135', as well as many other tulips in the 130-140' range. The topography is very steep, but we did manage to get girth measurements on a number of trees. A very enjoyable day of measuring. A summary below(click to enlarge), and Rand will follow up with some photos.
Everett Woods summary.JPG
Steve
every plant is native somewhere

dbhguru

Re: Everett Woods-154.5' sycamore, Ohio ht. record

Post by dbhguru » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:10 pm

Steve and Rand,

Very, very impressive. Ohio begins to assert its tree growing prowess with serious intent. I haven't been able to break 140 on a sycamore in Massachusetts. I've long wondered if the sycamore can compete with the tulip tree between latitudes 40 and 43 degrees. A 152-foot sycamore in New York and now the one that the two of you have confirmed suggests that it can.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Bob,

These are not quite as tall, but should be in the conversation about tall sycamores. Steve Hallow reported a 150.5 ft sycamore from Ryerson State Park (39°52′55″N 80°26′40″W) in southwestern PA just barely below your 40 degree mark, and Dale, Tony, and I have a 148.3 foot sycamore from Baker Island (410 31.593’N x 790 26.375’W) in the Allegheny River here in PA. This may have grown some since the last measurement in 2008. Certainly there is the potential for it to go over 150.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:07 pm

Bob, Ed-

This site is at N 41 12.432, W 81 34.681. The tall sycamore was unusual in that it was the only tree of its species encountered in a ravine setting; we saw plenty of others on the floodplain adjacent to the river, but this tall one was the only one noticed in the narrow valleys we were concentrating on, and it was competing with tulips of nearly the same height----so I think sycamores can keep pace in height with tuliptrees, but only if it is found in a steep valley/ravine, which is not its typical site.

Steve

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:20 am

Ed and Steve,

Understood. Will has a sycamore in the Smokies over 160. In certain types of terrain such as you described, Steve, I believe sycamores can be competitive with tuliptrees. It is an interesting topic of investigation.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Rand

Post by Rand » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:38 pm

And the picture tour. First a few overview pictures showing how steep and heavily wooded this area is:
Steep Ravine
Steep Ravine
2x8' 7" x 145'  tall double trunked tulip tree
2x8' 7" x 145' tall double trunked tulip tree
7' 6" x 133' foot Walnut
7' 6" x 133' foot Walnut
10' 8" x 154.4' Tulip Tree
10' 8" x 154.4' Tulip Tree
8' 9" x 154.5' Sycamore
8' 9" x 154.5' Sycamore
The Sycamore looked young and still quite vigorous and still has a strong terminal leader. It's located right next to a small brook at the bottom of the ravine so it has plenty of water. I can easily imagine this tree exceeding 160' in the coming decades.

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:24 pm

Rand, Steve,

That is the tallest black walnut in the Northeast (if you consider Ohio to be northeast). There is a really nice one at Holden Arboretum that we failed to hit the top on measured to about 125. That also is the tallest sycamore in the NE. Really the regional boundaries sort of fade and grade into each other- so the site might be considered both NE and Midwest.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:32 pm

Rand, Steve,

I mentioned it before, but at Parker Dam State Park here in PA is a Windstorm Preserve Area, with a trail cutting through the area knocked down by a tornado in 1985. It lets visitors get a first hand view of the tornado damage and recovery from that damage.
Trail of New Giants: 1 mile, yellow blazes, more difficult hiking
On May 31, 1985, one of Pennsylvania’s largest and strongest tornadoes roared through the park and destroyed the towering forest of ash, oak, beech and sugar maple trees. The Trail of New Giants cuts through the blowdown and the 250-acre Windstorm Preserve. Walk the trail and see the forest regenerating. A spur trail leads to a beautiful vista of the park and surrounding forest.
It would be interesting to compare similar recovery areas from other tornadoes. Surely there are some characteristic patterns of damage and recovery that could seen at different sites.

Ed Frank

Rand

Post by Rand » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:03 pm

The tallest black walnut's I've measured were in Pioneer Mothers Memorial forest outside of Paoli, Indiana (south central indiana 38.55˚ north). At the bottom of a single cove there were three closely space walnuts:

10' 2.5" x 129.1'
9' 11.0" x 129' (recently dead, tallest twigs rotted off)
10' 5.5" x 135.0'

Unless I miss my guess, this is the cove pictured in E. Lucy Braun's Eastern Forest's of North American:
Page 144 (ch 5: The Western Mesophytic Forest Region)
Page 144 (ch 5: The Western Mesophytic Forest Region)
Even though the tree we found is only 3' shorter, it was nowhere near as volumous as the trees in indiana. Nor did it show any old growth characteristics (heavy plated bark, massive limbs and stubby, gnarly twigs)

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:35 pm

edfrank wrote:Rand, Steve,

That is the tallest black walnut in the Northeast (if you consider Ohio to be northeast). There is a really nice one at Holden Arboretum that we failed to hit the top on measured to about 125. That also is the tallest sycamore in the NE. Really the regional boundaries sort of fade and grade into each other- so the site might be considered both NE and Midwest.

Ed

Ed, ENTS-

I think this area is better considered in the NE region since this, and most of the sites Rand and I have reported about, are on the Appalachian Plateau and have more in common, as far as soils and topography, with PA and WV rather than IN, IL, or MI.

And another photo-Rand about 65' up a 96' dawn redwood, in an area of Everett Woods that was once a country home:
randinredwood.jpg
Steve

Return to “Ohio”