Clearfork Gorge, Mohican River, Ohio record white pine

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Re: Clearfork Gorge, Mohican River, Ohio record white pine

Post by dbhguru » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:25 am

Stefan,

Good report. Very impressive growth. That sycamore is a rocket. Just curious, how did you measure its crown spread? A spread of 14 feet seems too small for a tree with a circumference of 5 feet. I would have guessed a little over 20 feet, but then again, I wasn't there. A 14-ffot spread would almost surely be a record minimum for a tree of that height.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:20 am

Bob,
Very crudely!This was the first crown spread I've ever done. The tree was on a flat flood plain. I used my clinometer to find the drip line at 90 degrees. Shot my rangefinder to the trunk but it didn't register anything (probably because I was too close to the tree). I used my measuring tape instead and measured from the ground. For the max crown I got 12ft plus 1.5 diameter of trunk 5/pie, which I rounded from 1.6 actual). the opposite spoke was measured at 6.5'. Total max was 12 + 6.5 + 1.5 = 20 ft for max crown spread. The min crown spread was actually less at 6.5ft ( 2.5ft for both spokes plus 1.5 diameter for trunk) rather than 8ft (I inadvertently used the diameter twice). The original average crown spread calculation 20 plus 8 or 28/2= 14'. The revised crown would be 26.5/2 or 13.25. Should be viewed as a ball park estimate. I just know its the smallest crown I've ever seen. I mean could practically touch the tree for the minimum spoke. The crown has the form of a narrow spatula. Let me know if I did something wrong given that this was my first time doing crown spread. thx!

Stefan

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:25 pm

Stefan,

Certainly sounds like you got well into the ball park. Pretty exciting find. Right now, I believe that you can claim the record for measuring the narrowest average crown spread for any tall tree reported in NTS. What is amazing is that such a height can be gained from such a small amount of photosynthetic material. However, sycamores, like eucalypts can photosynthesize through new bark (I think that is correct). You may have identified the best example of that ability in that Ohio super tall, super skinny, super narrow-crowned sycamore. Congrats.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:40 am

Bob,
Do you have any crown spread data on the wax palm tree? I hear they can reach heights of two hundred feet in mountains of Columbia and Peru. My tall syc reminds me a lot of some of the photos of those amazing trees.

Stefan

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:44 am

I've seen 160' more frequently quoted as a height for the Giant Wax Palms; I hiked through them in the Valle de Cocora in Colombia long before I got interested in tree measurement. I'll be skeptical of 200' until someone aims a laser at them (I have been looking for a good reason to travel back to Colombia...). Some sources are careful to define the Wax Palm as not a tree but the world's tallest grass, being a monocot that doesn't produce an inner frame of dead woody material surrounded by living cambium as conventional trees do. I can definitely see the comparison to your sycamore in terms of spread! There's a nice treatment of the genus here: http://www.mapress.com/phytotaxa/conten ... 34p064.pdf

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:23 pm

Click on image to see its original size

wax-palm-tallest-palm.

Pretty impressive. I had no clue. Thx for mentioning it.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=wax+palm ... 41&dpr=1.5
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Return to “Ohio”