Clearfork Gorge, Mohican River, Ohio record white pine

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

eliahd24

Re: Clearfork Gorge, Mohican River, Ohio record white pine

Post by eliahd24 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:49 pm

Great stuff guys! A whole different side of the Buckeye state.

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:31 am

I visited the three tallest trees the other day. I measured a 152' tulipfera upsteam from Little Lyons Falls (Lidar 155 hit). I didn't measure the girth due to wet and muddy conditions. Don't know if it's the same as the one listed at 151ft (if not there are two of them). I also noticed quite a few planted Red Pines by the gorge overlook. Although not particularIy impressive at this site I see great potential with this species given the fact none are listed in Treesdb on Ohio, and the two that are listed aren't terribly impressive either - there is one in WV at 75' and another in NC at 95'). I didn't meaure any because, like I said, I wasn't impressed - but it's all relative. I think one can find a state champion here almost by default. They were extensively planted here, along with white pine, by the CCC according to the park info.

Rand

Post by Rand » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:08 pm

I don't think we surveyed up toward the falls much at all, so it looks like you found a another tall tree. After 'creaming off the top' so to speak along the main valley floor we didn't survey the lyon falls area much before running out of time (I think I measured just a couple of trees there). Though I have walked through there several times.

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:07 pm

There's a tall white oak just upsteam from the tulip that Lidar show to be in the 135 range. I didn't measure it due to the fall foilage and overall sloppy conditions. I restricted myself to relatively flat areas off trail.

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:48 am

Just thought I would independently vouch for that white pine with a reading of 157' and a 10'5"CBH during the fall of 2014. Would love to see it go to 160 one day. Are you sure this tree wasn't flown in here from western PA via heavy lift helicopter?

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:10 pm

I thought this was an interesting sycamore. It measures 148' tall, very slender (don't have a girth measurement sorry), but best of all it has the smallest crown I've ever seen. I've never done a crown measurement before, but I would venture to say no more than 10ft across. It's lowest branch is somewhere above 140ft. Most sycamores have large sprawling limbs, this one has tiny branches that look more like twigs that are densely packed. It resides in a superlative sycamore grove of perhaps half dozen 145' to 150' tall trees. Definitely going back within the next few months if anyone is interested in hooking up. In addition to the sycamores I plan to measure and document some of the wild white pines. I think there are a few in the 145ft range with perhaps a 150ft tree in addition to the record 156 pine. Here are a couple of photos of the "spatula" sycamore from a couple months ago.
Attachments
DSCN2904.JPG
DSCN2902.JPG

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:28 pm

It would be great to have another site (not region) that has three species above 150'. California woods is the only one so far. There's a good chance in finding a 150' sycamore for a total of three as well. A well protected floodplain in a gorge is prime sycamore habitat for tall trees.
Attachments
DSCN2912.JPG
DSCN2913.JPG
DSCN2907.JPG

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:13 pm

Actually there's one other site with four species topping 150' that I would rather not mention due to potential increased wear and tare.

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:53 am

Early last spring I revisited the tall tulip at Little Lyons falls and got an exceptional height of 156' instead of the 152' I got originally. Old lidar data indicates a height of 155. The tree is nearly at the bottom of the ravine which means that its a true hit, almost like a sycamore. Still don't have a girth measurement. This makes three trees above 155' for a single site in Ohio.
Attachments
DSCN0135.JPG
DSCN0136.JPG

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:56 am

I went down to Mohican the other day to measure some of its white pines and remeasure a unique skyrocketing sycamore that I reported on before (measured at 148' a year and a half ago when leaves where still on) that is now above 150' (one sprig at 152 and another at 154). It has an incredible 5'cbh and average crown spread of only 14'. The height of this fast growing single stem, limbless and self pruning tree has as a lower branch a full 112' up that is on the verge of being sloughed off. Its height to girth ratio is an impressive 30x! This youngster is in the midst of a rapid growth spurt and could conceivably be a state champ in the not to distant future. I then measured some wild white pines that to me are so much more majestic than the taller farm raised variety of the hocking hills region. I found a 143' x 10'8"cbh and an adjacent 144' x 8'10.5", a 139', two 135's and a 131'. I then remeasured the state white pine champ mentioned in the OP to the best of my abilities at 156.7' (midslope) and 157.7' (upslope of a taller sprig not seen from the midslope position). If properly measured this tree could be a foot taller. I also measured a 139 and 130 hemlock to finish a very enjoyable day. This particular site now has three species above 150' (one of only three in Ohio) for a total of five trees above 150' (three tulips, one white pine, and one sycamore).
Attachments
skyrocketing sycamore
skyrocketing sycamore
adjacent 140'plus white pines
adjacent 140'plus white pines
143'ht x 10'8"cbh white pine
143'ht x 10'8"cbh white pine
130'ht hemlock
130'ht hemlock
135'ht x 8'5"cbh  white pine
135'ht x 8'5"cbh white pine

Return to “Ohio”