Clearfork Gorge, Mohican River, Ohio record white pine

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Clearfork Gorge, Mohican River, Ohio record white pine

Post by Steve Galehouse » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:35 pm

ENTS-

Today Rand Brown and I visited the Clearfork Gorge area of the Mohican River in Ashland County, Ohio, in the north-central part of the state. This area is very scenic, and has the highest concentration of native(not plantation)white pine in the state. We scouted this area prior to visiting utilizing LiDAR data, and figured the tallest white pine in Ohio was out there, and we knew just where to look. Sure enough, utilizing LiDAR data and Bing Maps aerial photos, we walked right up to it and measured it to 156.2' x 10' 2'', all within 20 minutes of arrival at the site. Ohio isn't known as white pine country, but 156'+ isn't bad. From there we visited other areas of the park which had tall LiDAR hits, and found a hemlock at 140' plus several nice tuliptrees, the tallest at 163.2'---this is the third site in N Ohio Rand and I have found tulips in excess of 160'. Below is a summary of what we measured plus some photos:
Mohican data Mrch 2011.JPG
Photos of state record white pine:
White pine 156 trunk.jpg
White pine 156 top.jpg
Rand with tall white pine.jpg
The white pine at 156.2',the tulip at 163.2', and hemlock at 140' are each significant heights for the state. A taller hemlock is likely out there in Mohican but due to terrain is difficult to measure.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

James Parton

Re: Clearfork Gorge, Mohican River, Ohio record white pine

Post by James Parton » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:34 pm

Awesome! You got three trees above 150 feet tall.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:14 am

Wow! That's a hell of a white pine! Now I'm starting to wonder just how tall the white pines were that I encountered in the South Mountains Game Land. We saw some really nice ones. I need to break down and buy some instrumentation that will let me accurately measure tree height.

Click on image to see its original size

Click on image to see its original size

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:22 am

I'm not surprised that you found those. The Hemlock Trail at Mohican looks like it belongs in the southern Appalachians. I've never seen another part of Ohio with so many evergreens.
Brian

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Steve,

outstanding. What a gorgeous white pine. And of course, your confirmation of site #3 with a 160+ ft tulip puts Ohio on firm footing to be tall tree as well as big girth tree country. It will be very interesting to see if the very tall tulips can be found in western Ohio. keep up the good work. I'll enter the tulips that you measured in Neil's database.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:45 pm

ENTS-

Rand stitched a photo of the 156.2' white pine:
156' white pine stitched reduced.jpg
Steve

Rand

Post by Rand » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Here's a few overview shots of the white pine. The crown is sorta spread out and gangly. I suspect the plantation trees in Zaleski and Hocking will overtake it eventually as their crowns are still pyramidal, indicating continuning rapid growth and are only a few feet behind.
_MG_5396_2.jpg
_MG_5385_2.jpg
It sticks out now, but you can imagine in the summertime it's pretty well screened by the surrounding trees. I've walked by this tree at least 4 times over the years (it's right beside the camprground).

The mohican area is well covered by Lidar Data, greatly facillitated finding the tall trees. As steve dourly noted, it sorta takes the sport out of it. It seems technology has a way of doing that to everything. Here's a Lidar cross section of the main forest gallery where the tallest tulips were located. In this case the maximum height was short by ~ 8' (while the white pine was 4' shorter than reported by Lidar.
mohican-2.JPG
Mug shots shots of the two tallest tuliptrees, which are the two brightest red/orange bumps in the middle:
Steve is the little blue-grey blob lost in the bushes in the lower right
163' Tuliptree
163' Tuliptree

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:48 pm

That's what my wife calls me....

Oh, well

Steve

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:57 pm

Steve Galehouse wrote:
That's what my wife calls me....

Oh, well

Steve
Steve,

That is what everybody calls you.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:52 pm

Steve and Randy, Wow big Pine! Awesome! You guys are kitting butt in Ohio! Lidar is the way to go! Larry

Return to “Ohio”