Akron Ohio Height Index - January 2011

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Akron Ohio Height Index - January 2011

Post by Steve Galehouse » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:04 pm

Eli, ENTS-

I've updated a Rucker Index for Akron, Ohio as a comparison to Atlanta, including two sites beyond the proper city limits but still well within the metropolitan area, sort of like within the I-285 for the Atlanta parameter, and have come up with a Rucker Index not far off that of Atlanta's; 138.2 Akron vs. 139.6, despite being 600 miles apart in latitude. Not to be a competition, but rather to show the similarities and differences of the species that "make the grade".
Akron RI 3-2011.JPG
To me its interesting that several of the same species are included in both sites as height maximums, but then the tallest species begin to differ.
Akron RI 3-2011.JPG
I think the general aspect of the eastern deciduous forest is similar north to south as far as canopy height, save for exceptional heights in the southern mountains, and then gradually declines from east to west and from hilly to flat topography.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Steve Galehouse

Akron Ohio Rucker Height Index - January 2011

Post by Steve Galehouse » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Eli-
eliahd24 wrote:! I was surprised to see only one Oak species though and is there no White Pine in your area? BTW- our few Cottonwood trees in riparian areas are about 125' max as well.
I have measured in the region a white oak to 128' x 12' 1'' and a pin oak to 122' x 14' 2'', but they are somewhat beyond what I consider the Akron metropolitan area to be. White pines are native and present in the area but scarce as far as natural populations---if I include planted specimens of white pine, they would be in the 135'-140' range. All the trees included in the RI for Akron are derived from native and naturally occurring trees rather than plantations.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Return to “Ohio”