Everett Woods & O'Neill Woods, Summit Co.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Everett Woods & O'Neill Woods, Summit Co.

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:48 am

ENTS-

Yesterday I scouted two areas I plan on measuring more thoroughly later this month. Both are hilly areas, several miles apart, on the western margin of the Cuyahoga River valley with elevation changes of about 250'. Both sites have LiDAR hits in the mid-upper 150's, so I was hoping to find some tall trees, but unfortunately there was still too much snow and ice in the upper ravines to explore safely. A brief summary of what I did measure, at O'Neill Woods: Tuliptrees at 146.9, 145, 138.5 x 7' 2'', and 134 x 11' 10''. The nicest tree was a white ash at 123 x 12' 1''.

White ash, 123 x 12' 1'':
123' x 12' 1'' white ash2.jpg
At Everett Woods, a summary: Black oak 12' 3'' x 101, tuliptrees 149.5, 144.67, 143, 135 x ~8', and 111.48 x 9' 4''. Also found was a sycamore at 144', the tallest I've found in the region.

Tuliptree 149.5, on left, next to sycamore at 144:
149' tulip, 144' sycamore.jpg
I'm confident I'll find trees in the 150's at both locations once the snows are all gone.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

dbhguru

Re: Everett Woods & O'Neill Woods, Summit Co.

Post by dbhguru » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:26 am

Steve,

Good show. Thanks to you and Randy, Ohio's tall tree story is far from being told. We owe you two a lot. Do you foresee any chance of attracting more real tree measurers to the fold? It would be great if Dr. Tom Diggins rejoined us.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:19 pm

Bob, ENTS-

So far I haven't found another tree measuring enthusiast locally---Rand Brown has come up from Columbus on several occasions, a 2 1/2 hour drive, and it is great to have his company when measuring and exploring; son Mitch who accompanied me often last year is working on his pilot's license and flies as often as he can, so he has been relatively unavailable. I tried contacting Tom Diggins via e-mail a few months ago but with no response; but then I never really had any earlier conservations with him so he might have skipped my message---if you or another early ENTS member contacts him, perhaps the result might be different. I think Tom would be intrigued by the finds Rand and I have made in the Cuyahoga Valley, as this area is only an hour from Youngstown State where he teaches.

Steve

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Steve,

Nice report. I hope you find some more tree enthusiasts out your way. Did you ever talk to Tom Robinson? He borrowed my spare rangefinder and clinometer and was trying to learn tree measurement.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:10 pm

Ed-

Yes, I've contacted Tom, and Duane, via FB and e-mail---I hope we can meet up sometime this year, but they live in Cincinnati and Columbus respectively so distance is a problem. Rand and I were hoping to meet at Mohican State Forest today (which is about equidistant between our homes) to measure what might be the state record white pine, but weather prevented the outing.

Steve

Return to “Ohio”