A review of NE Ohio tall tree sites with FUSION/LiDAR

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

A review of NE Ohio tall tree sites with FUSION/LiDAR

Post by Steve Galehouse » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:04 pm

ENTS-

Over the past several days I've downloaded around 60 LiDAR tiles with associated image and bare earth data. Each tile is 2.25 square kilometers, or about .89 square miles in area.I chose the tile locations based on either familiarity with the site or the likelihood of tall trees based on Google Maps and Bing Maps images. The tiles were then reviewed using FUSION, the free LiDAR data viewer available here: http://forsys.cfr.washington.edu/fusion ... atest.html .

From these 60 tiles I got LiDAR "hits" in excess of 150' on nine of the tiles, and in excess of 160' for two more. The tallest hit, at 166.57', was a tree previously measured to 163.72' with a rangefinder/clinometer. Many other known and measured trees had LiDAR hits in complete agreement and confirmation of rangefinder/clinometer measurements.

Most of the sites or parks are represented by several tiles; When the weather moderates I plan on visiting the newly discovered sites holding tall trees to measure with a rangefinder/clinometer, and I hope I will be able to record three or four more sites with trees in excess of 150'. I suspect all the trees 150' or taller are tulips.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

edfrank

Re: A review of NE Ohio tall tree sites with FUSION/LiDAR

Post by edfrank » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:45 pm

Steve,

I need to go ahead and look at the LIDAR information for PA. Paul Jost sent me some stuff, and I have looked online at the resources, but haven't downloaded the stuff or installed it yet. it will be my next project after I am finished with the current zillion things I am trying to get done. So find some good stuff and further inspire me.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Steve Galehouse

Re: A review of NE Ohio tall tree sites with FUSION/LiDAR

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:04 pm

Ed-

I'm just amazed at how accurate the LiDAR data seems to be. I'll be exploring the tall hits I got as soon as the weather warms up a bit. The Fusion program allows you to view the terrain of a site in 3-D, so it's possible to see where a tree is in relation to the topography of the site. Really neat stuff.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Return to “Ohio”