Whipp's Ledges, Hickley Reservation, Medina Co.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Whipp's Ledges, Hickley Reservation, Medina Co.

Post by Steve Galehouse » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Ents-

Today I went back to an area I reported about in October 2009. During that trip the foliage was still too dense to get good height readings, and since today was relatively calm and pleasant weather-wise, I headed back to get more measurements. I encountered only two other people the whole time I was in the woods, one a rock-climber, the other a dog-walker. As I mentioned in the earlier report, this is a very picturesque area with striking sandstone cliffs and slump blocks, one of several similar areas in NE Ohio.
Ledges and red maple.jpg
The forest here is unusual because there is no hemlock present(as there are in other "Ledges" areas nearby), and because of the frequency of cucumber magnolia. A spreadsheet of trees measured today can be found here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CIflzO8O .

The height of trees in this area is not that great---I got a Rucker 10 index of 110.22', with a tulip at 136.1 the tallest measured, but there are many trees that appear to be quite old, especially individuals of cucumber magnolia, tupelo, and sugar maple. Four species; tulip, cucumber, red oak, and black oak achieve GBH's above 10', and three others; tupelo, sugar maple, and red maple above 9'.

The most unusual tree found was a cucumber at 11' 2'' GBH and 102' tall, which displayed striking exfoliating, plated bark---almost like a shagbark in appearance. It looked very old.
Cucumber magnolia.jpg
Cucumber magnolia trunk.jpg
Cucumber magnolia top.jpg
An old sugar maple had a similar appearance also.
Sugar maple.jpg
A Picasa Web Album of the trip can be found here, with dimensions of the trees in the captions: http://picasaweb.google.com/srgalehouse ... directlink

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

James Parton

Re: Whipp's Ledges, Hickley Reservation, Medina Co.

Post by James Parton » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:16 pm

Steve,

Trees don't have to be 150+ to be great. Some of these look old and have nice girths.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

greenent22

Post by greenent22 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:45 pm

Looks like a very nice old forest there!

mdavie

Post by mdavie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:57 pm

Steve, I've seen that kind of exfoliating bark on cukes before, too. It looks like a nice place, thanks for another report!

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:47 pm

Steve,

Great report. Inspiring place. Were you able to measure 5 tuliptrees for Neil's study?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Bob, ENTS-

Thanks, it's a very nice area. I only officially measured three tulips(see spreadsheet link), but could have measured many in the 120' x 10' range. I've discovered "ledges" areas don't really hold super tall trees, perhaps due to lack of soil richness.

If it would help Neil's study, I could return to the area and concentrate on tulips---I wasn't aware there was a minimum sample number. There are several other areas I could sample tulips from also, in addition to the info I've already sent.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Return to “Ohio”