Schoepfle Garden, and Vermilion River, Erie Co., Ohio

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Schoepfle Garden, and Vermilion River, Erie Co., Ohio

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:06 pm

ENTS-

Today I visited Schoepfle Garden in Erie Co., and also an area of the Vermilion River valley adjacent to the garden. Schoepfle was once a private garden, but has been part of the Lorain County Metroparks since 1969---information here:http://www.metroparks.cc/reservation-sc ... garden.php.

The garden contains some very nice ornamental plantings, with some of the species likely state records, and part of the reason of the visit was to record and photograph for the state big tree list. One of the nicest specimens was a paperbark maple, Acer griseum, a beautiful east Asian species with cinnamon colored exfoliating bark, and at 29.35' in height and 4' 6'' CBH (at 2' 8'' above grade due to a major low branch)---this should be a state record if for no other reason than it's not a species in the database yet, but it still is an exceptional individual for the species:
DSCI2397.JPG
DSCI2398.JPG
There was a nice dawn redwood, at 77' x 13' 10'' CBH, which should tie it with the state record:
DSCI2387.JPG
DSCI2386.JPG
A good size Swiss stone pine, Pinus cembra, was also present. Swiss stone pine is a five-needled pine with foliage very similar to Eastern white pine but with thick rounded cones that produce edible pine nuts. This tree, at 40.8' x 7' CBH at 2' 6'' above grade, should be a new state record:
DSCI2391.JPG

A nice cedar-of-Lebanon, Cedrus libani, was also there, and at 67' x 7' 4'' CBH(again below a low major limb) it should be close to or tied with the state record. This tree was killed back to the ground in 1979, so has regained that height in 30 years:
DSCI2402.JPG
The most stunning and unusual tree in the garden is a Japanese umbrella pine, Sciadopitys verticillata, which at 30.4' should easily be the state record. The tree has 3 trunks which emerge from the ground independently--two are 2' 4'' CBH, the other 2' 1'' CBH:
DSCI2403.JPG
DSCI2406.JPG
DSCI2404.JPG
Trails led from the garden to the woods along the Vermilion River. Most of the taller native trees were on the opposite side of the river, so no CBH's--I spotted a tuliptree at 143.8', right at the river edge:
DSCI2409.JPG
There was also a seemingly naturally growing Eastern white pine at 105' on a rocky bluff on the other side of the river---naturally occurring white pines are infrequent here:
DSCI2417.JPG
Other nice trees in the river valley included a sycamore at 121', a pin oak at 115.8', a cottonwood at 119', and a white ash at 106'.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

edfrank

Re: Schoepfle Garden, and Vermilion River, Erie Co., Ohio

Post by edfrank » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:39 pm

Steve,

Another excellent report from northeastern Ohio. I bet you could find a big variety of species at the Holden Arboretum. I remember a Dawn redwood there, only it was not as big as this one. The website says:

As of April 1, 2009, The Holden Arboretum has:

* 17,388 accessioned plants and mass plantings
* 12,784 woody - 4,604 herbaceous
* 5,811 taxa (types of plants) of which 1,120 were collected wild
* 158 families
* 677 genera
* 2,096 species
* 3,265 cultivars
* 2,164 hybrids

We still need to get back there and get a better height on the big Black Walnut at the Arboretum.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Steve Galehouse

Re: Schoepfle Garden, and Vermilion River, Erie Co., Ohio

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:54 pm

Ed-

Whenever you can get back to NE Ohio, I'd love to meet up again---there are a lot of locations worth exploring.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Return to “Ohio”