Ohio record Tuliptree nominated today

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Ohio record Tuliptree nominated today

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:09 pm

ENTS-

Randy Brown and I have nominated a Tulip at Sand Run which should easily be the state record "Big Tree" for the species. This is the tallest one we've found there(the Bob Leverett Tree), and today I returned to get an average crown spread measurement, which we failed to get previously---the numbers are: 163.72' in height, rounded down to 163'; 176'' in girth(taken at 4.5' from the uphill side as per ODNR's ''Big Tree" guidelines); and 91' average crown spread. These give us a score of 361.75(362)points utilizing the method proscribed by the ODNR and AFA. The current Ohio record Tuliptree is listed on the Ohio Big Trees website at 353 points, so this should be the new record, although it will take until 2012 to show in the register. I think this tree is also the tallest height accurately measured for the species in Ohio, and might even be the tallest accurately measured tree of any species in the state.
Record tuliptree.jpg
Steve
every plant is native somewhere

mdavie

Re: Ohio record Tuliptree nominated today

Post by mdavie » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:40 pm

That is one rockin tulip!

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:39 pm

I visited this tree the other day and got a similar height measurement of 164.7'. The elaborate crown structure is my favorite part of this magnificent specimen. Unfortunately, the base is in the process of being hollowed out, which will severely weaken it during a wind storm. Enjoy it now, in its full glory, while it lasts.
Attachments
measured from this vantage point
measured from this vantage point
next to its signature dead stump to the right
next to its signature dead stump to the right
numerous leaders to choose from
numerous leaders to choose from

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:38 pm

Stefan, NTS-

Here are a couple of photos of the tall tulip showing the dead patch at the base of the trunk, with Matt Markworth in November 2013.
tulip-Matt.jpg
tulip-Matt2.jpg
From this vantage point, somewhat downslope from Stefan's photos, Rand Brown and I were able to get a height of slightly more than 170'(on a different excursion).

Steve

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:26 pm

I think using the same vantage point is key to getting consistent results between third parties. For record setting trees such as this it wouldn't be a bad idea to GPS the vantage point (as well as a photo from that perspective) so that others can independently verify the results. This would go a long way in producing a reliable and repeatable database of the highest quality. But one must first find the highest point from various vantage points prior to this, and then go from there.

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:52 pm

Stefan, NTS-

I entirely agree, the GPS co-ords of the measurement location should be part of the record for 'significant' trees. I have visited this tree several times over the years with Rand or Mark and independently, and each time I came up with a somewhat taller height from this location. I think the last time Rand and I visited it together we came up with a height of 170.01'. At a later date, on my own, I got 171' from the same spot. I try to measure it on a yearly basis, since a good growing season or storm damage can affect the height. The LiDAR hit for this tree in 2007 was 166.57'(for somewhere in its crown), so 170'+ is reasonable, I think.

Steve

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:31 pm

I used a different interpretation of that 166.57 Lidar estimate based on the relatively steep terrain and overhanging upper branches that extent out toward the stream. (You kinda see that when combining both of our photos.) I regarded that Lidar hit as a ceiling rather than a floor to work with. My hit fell in line to what I was expecting - a few feet less than that Lidar estimate, so I went with it. But, its quite possible, even probable, that you have a true top that extends directly above the tree even further than any of the upper side branches.

Don

Post by Don » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:17 pm

Your comments about returning annually to remeasure reminded me of a habit developed as a land surveyor...for points we'd want to come back to, we'd hammer into the ground a 2"x2" redwood hub perhaps 8-10" long to "monument" the point.
For repeat tree height measuring, such a practice would ensure 'replicability'.
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:27 pm

And the thing is it doesn't matter how good or expensive your equipment is, or how good your technique is, if you measure a different tree top within the same tree. Measuring five different leaders from five different vantage points will inevitably come up with widely disparate results. You might as well be measuring five different trees. This particular tree has a a very complex full set of "hair" on top. A single strand sticking up from the rest can make all the difference. The hard part is locating it. That said, no one knows this tree better than Steve.

Return to “Ohio”