White Pine - Zaleski

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Hook

White Pine - Zaleski

Post by Hook » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:19 am

Myself, Tom Robison, Landon Smith, and Crys Albanese set out to measure the reigning White Pine in Zaleski's Doolittle plantation. There are several whites in this area that are very close in size, and much time could be spent climbing, to determine the champ. This tree is not the one that was listed on the the list of champions. That tree has either been lost, or the coordinates given were inaccurate?
Our forester guide, brought us to the tree they measured as the successor.

Final measurements
153' 1-1/2" Hgt
119" CBH

I was still in the tree when the crown spread measurements were taken, I will share this info if anyone is interested.

We took 2 tape drops, and 1 tape lift, and came up with the same results each time.

Click on image to see its original size

Here is a link to my photo set from the climb
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drainhook/ ... 397350922/

edfrank

Re: White Pine - Zaleski

Post by edfrank » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:58 am

Landon Smith posted on your album on Facebook these spread numbers:

"White pine Spread 26' Spread 27'6" Spread 25'6" Spred 17'8" 153'1.5" height 119" girth"

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7 ... 8976642378

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:11 am

Duane, would be awesome if one of your team could get their hands on a Nikon laser rangefinder and a clinometer, you can get a very good height measurement in minutes with the ENTS sine top/sine bottom method, that way you could determine the likely tallest out of a group of trees and target the best candidate for a measuring climb. Congrats on your team's accomplishment.
-Andrew

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:14 am

AndrewJoslin wrote:Duane, would be awesome if one of your team could get their hands on a Nikon laser rangefinder and a clinometer, you can get a very good height measurement in minutes with the ENTS sine top/sine bottom method, that way you could determine the likely tallest out of a group of trees and target the best candidate for a measuring climb. Congrats on your team's accomplishment.
-Andrew
I did just that the other day and came up with the following initial, preliminary results. Most of the trees were only measured once because I didn't have my calculator with me, so I didn't know what I was looking at at the time. As a result I wasn't able to double check the results. I round down to the lowest ft on the height and the lowest inch on the circumference.

White Pines
151' x 8' 7" CBH
155' x 9' 7"
160' x 8' 4"
149' x 7' 8"

Norway Spruce
127'
122'
124'
Attachments
DSCN3019.JPG
DSCN3016.JPG
DSCN3020.JPG
DSCN3018.JPG
Last edited by sradivoy on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:23 pm

Wow, nice pines! Might be worth hitting the 160 footer with the laser some more if you're not sure about the first measurement. Having two species (tuliptree, white pine) hitting the 160' mark in the Buckeye State is fantastic.

Matt

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:29 pm

Stefan, Matt,

Exciting news! Once again we have the tulips and great whites duking it out for height dominance.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:37 pm

Far from official. It's quite possible that a second measurement from a different position would yield a 155' instead of 160'. Not having a calculator truly sucked because I couldn't appreciate the height at the time. I just went on to the next tree. There were a couple of slender ones that I didn't measure that looked as tall maybe taller. The pretty pine on top I think is the 160' but am not sure. My camera was out of memory so I started to delete old photos. It through off the count associated with each photo out of wack so I''m not sure which tree I'm looking at. Some had distinguishing marks. One was leaning which was the 151'. That was the only tree that I measured twice from two different positions. At close range it was leaning toward me and I didn't know it was leaning. I got a 140' side branch thinking that it was the top. Later I got a profile of the lean and was perpendicular to it with a clear shot of the top. Got a 151' instead. The 155' tree has a distinct v shaped fork on top. This tree corresponds most closely with the one that was climbed years ago. I took photos of both but haven't shared yet above because I need to figure out how to straighten them out first. I have coordinates of all the trees in case you're interested in verifying them. It would be great to get a 160' tree in the books that isn't a tulip. This location has good potential for that. The weather was absolutely perfect. When the sun hits the blue-green foliage of a white pine it becomes quite regal in its splendor. Beautiful species!

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:15 pm

sradivoy wrote:Far from official. It's quite possible that a second measurement from a different position would yield a 155' instead of 160'. Not having a calculator truly sucked because I couldn't appreciate the height at the time. I just went on to the next tree. There were a couple of slender ones that I didn't measure that looked as tall maybe taller. The pretty pine on top I think is the 160' but am not sure. My camera was out of memory so I started to delete old photos. It through off the count associated with each photo so I''m not sure which tree I'm looking at. Some had distinguishing marks. I have coordinates of all the trees in case you're interested in verifying them. It would be great to get a 160' tree in the books that isn't a tulip. This location has good potential for that. The weather was absolutely perfect. When the sun hits the blue-green foliage of a white pine it becomes quite regal in its splendor. Beautiful species!

sradivoy

Post by sradivoy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:35 pm

Anyone know what the tallest Norway spruce is in the state? The three recorded at the database are all below 100', which obviously is far to low. I see a lot of tall ones on private property. Don't know why this "naturalized citizen" doesn't get the respect it deserves. They have some catching up to do, but I see no reason why they can't reach 200ft here one day. Pretty soon they will be impossible to ignore. They're certainly getting my attention.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:35 pm

Stefan,

Good for you. I love Norway spruce, and we have some dillies here in New England. They are equally impressive in NY and parts of PA. In time, this species could be our tallest tree in the East, although I wouldn't want to go too far out on the proverbial limb on that. However, Norway spruce naturalizes very slowly. I very seldom see natural reproduction. I think our buddy Gaines in Virginia could educate us on what conditions are necessary for naturalization to take place. Gaines, are you out there?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Ohio”