Chinkapin Oak in Marietta

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tsharp

Chinkapin Oak in Marietta

Post by tsharp » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:31 pm

I had a chance to stop and take a look at the Ohio State Champion Chinkapin Oak, Q. muehlenbergii. The tree is located on western side of Marietta, Washington County, Ohio.
For several years it was also the national champ but was replaced by a tree in Kentucky. It even has a sign in front of the tree. The Ohio registry of Big Trees lists the following measurements.
CBH 289"
Ht 80'
CS 107'
Last measured in 2005
I did check the two topmost sprigs for height with laser and clinometer a got 77.8' and 76.3'. The CBH I did not take because as you can see from the following pictures this is a fused multistem tree (4 stems) plus the drop off in elevation was probably 7' from front to back. For someone that's interested in measuring such trees it would be a good challenge.

Click on image to see its original size

Photo by Turner Sharp

Photo by Turner Sharp
It appears that the Kentucky tree is a single stem as seen in the photo on the American Forests website with the following link:
http://www.americanforests.org/bigtrees ... ee_id=3660

edfrank

Re: Chinkapin Oak in Marietta

Post by edfrank » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:34 pm

Turner,

It is an OK tree even if it a multitrunk. This is a reason we need to check the trees on the Big Tree Lists. Many of them are in fact multitrunk and not single trunk trees as would be appropriate for the list.

Ed

The Kentucky Tree via American Forest website

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Turner,

is that tree located just off from a road that runs along the Muskingum river as you drive North from Marietta? If that is the case then I am pretty sure that I visited this tree, but when I visited it the tree was considered the largest swamp white oak in Ohio! It must have been before 2004. I'll have to find my scattered notes. I remember being very bummed because I realized that it wasn't a swamp white oak before my tires stopped turning. I have to admit that I didn't know other oaks that well so I never did ID it to species.

Doug

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:24 am

Turner, Ed, Doug,

Yep, a big multi-stem tree well worth measuring and putting into a separate category, as we've discussed. The listed height isn't hat far off - not bad. Somebody at least tried to do it right.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

tsharp

Post by tsharp » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:34 pm

Doug,
The Chinkapin Oak is the same tree you saw. I talked to Marilyn Ortt who is named as one of two nominators in 2001 to the American Forests List. She allowed how she originally listed it as a Swamp White Oak and got it corrected to Chinkapin Oak in 2004.
Turner Sharp

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:24 pm

Turner,

very cool! When I saw the picture that you posted I immediately thought - hey, I know that tree! I thought about it for awhile so it's nice to have that little mystery solved.

Doug

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:38 am

NTS,

I stumbled upon this post while doing some research for the Chinkapin Oak Database I'm putting together. Thanks so much to Turner for sharing some details about this tree. Without Turner's post I would have wondered if it was single or multi and may have tried to see the tree the next time I was in that part of the state.

The Marietta, OH tree is the AF national co-champion. The other co-champion is located down in the Kentucky Bluegrass. Here is Mark Rouw's photo of the KY tree, with me standing in front:
Matt with natioanal co-champion Chinkapin Oak.jpg
My point in highlighting these examples isn't to disparage the trees or the AF list in any way, but rather just to provide another example of how one or two trees doesn't provide much in the way of evidence of what a species can do. To be fair, even if a tree like this PA tree (http://www.pabigtrees.com/tree_detail.a ... 0213406827) was on the AF list, it still wouldn't tell us much about the dimensional capacity of the species, and leaves the door open that it could be a statistical outlier.

With that, just want to say thanks to all the NTS members who have led the way by providing in-depth profiles/lists of individual species. By showing the weight of the evidence of many measurements, compiled together, a true dimensional profile begins to emerge that a single tree on a champion list could never hope to achieve.

Matt

Return to “Ohio”