Two possible(likely?) state height records today...

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Two possible(likely?) state height records today...

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:26 pm

ENTS-

Today Randy Brown and I took advantage of a beautiful late fall day and returned to Sand Run, in search of the elusive 165' tuliptree. We didn't find a tulip to break that height(although I think it's still out there), but we did manage to find what is likely the tallest recorded northern red oak in Ohio, at 146' tall and 10' 6'' girth, growing in a small ravine in the company of 140'-150' tulips.
' northern red oak.jpg
' northern red oak crown.jpg
From there we went up the ravine to a large tulip, which at 135' tall 16' 6'' girth, and average branch spread around 85', would be at least a tie for the Ohio's "big tree" of this species.
' tuliptree.jpg
From there we explored a secluded hemlock glen, with a number of trees in the 125' x 8' range.
Hemlock glen.jpg
We also remeasured the tallest tulip we found last year, and we were pleased to find it is now 15' in girth and 163.72' tall. This is likely the height record for accurately measured tuliptrees in the state. Another nice find was a shingle oak at 104' tall and 9' 9'' in girth.
'.jpg
The current Rucker Index for this site, and the City of Akron, is now 135.91.
R I Sand Run-Akron.JPG
R I Sand Run-Akron.JPG (17.77 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
Typical topography at site:
Typical topography.jpg
Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Rand

Re: Two possible(likely?) state height records today...

Post by Rand » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:35 am

I looked up the Ohio big tree list and the tallest shingle oak was 105' and the tallest tulip was 145' (It looks like they have the correct picture for this tree this time. They had the 102' lawrence county try in there the last time I looked). It looks like our tulip has a chance at the new state champion if you assume the crown spreads are the same.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:50 pm

Steve,

I, for one, am very impressed with the 146-foot N. red oak. It shows what Ohio can produce. I am also impressed with the fact that the site has 4 species over 140 feet, one of them being hemlock.

I have a feeling that with you and Randy unleashed, the rest of us are going to develop a real respect for Ohio's big/tall trees in the coming year.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:55 pm

Bob-

I hope to return to the Sand Run area several times yet this fall---for me it is like your MTSF. I hope I don't belabor or bore ENTS members with continuing posts about this site. I'm not sure why the trees are so tall here, relative to other sites in the area and state--perhaps the sand bluffs, with 200' of elevation change, create a favorable environment. I'm quite sure I can improve on the RI entries for sycamore and cottonwood. I really feel this is a special location, which has long been overlooked by by local universities for botanical/biological studies. I thank my high school biology teacher, C. Kennon Fisher, for introducing me and my class to this area for "Spring Flora" studies, in 1968.

Steve

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:15 am

Steve,

As long as your finding new trees to measure at Sand Run, I don't think you have to worry that any ents will be "bored". The red oak height is very impressive. Shingle oak is more midwestern than most ents, so it's nice to see some numbers for that species.

Jess

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:37 pm

Steve, Randy,

Sand Run seems like quite a place! Keep on Measuring!!
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:43 pm

Steve,

I agree with Jess, you can't possibly bore us with tales of big trees from Ohio. This is just the wrong crowd for that sorta talk! And this is someone from "that state up North".

Doug

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:22 pm

Jess, Ed, Doug, Bob-

Thanks--I hope to get a R.I. 20 for the site still this year---black oak, white oak, hackberry, cucumber, sugar maple, red maple, bigtooth aspen, white elm, slippery elm, butternut, and basswood are present, among other species. A species rich site for 41' North.

Steve

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:34 am

Steve,

I'll go further. The rest of us regard the work that you and Randy as critically valuable to ENTS. The Mid-West is a huge area of the country, which except for the two of you and Beth a little farther west, is basically uncovered by ENTS. Were the region unimpressive in terms of big trees, we might not worry so much, but the exact opposite is true. Your discoveries confirm the richness of the habitat. I can only imagine what once grew.

Sooner or later I will get over there for a tree visit. I need to quite trying to coordinate a visit to Ohio and other points in the Mid-west with Monica's and my yearly western excursion. On the trip out, we're pushed for time to meet a schedule and on the trip back, I'm so pooped that I just want to get home. Ideally, Monica and I would plan to visit you and Randy and some of her musical colleagues who live in Ohio. That would make Ohio the focus.

Regardless, please keep the measurements and reports flowing. You and Randy are the real deal.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Rand

Post by Rand » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:33 pm

Here's a couple of pictures I took looking back upstream in the bottom of the one of the deeper ravines. In this narrow section, it becomes cool and damp enough for the beaches and hemlocks to take over. It has s similar feel to the north & east facing slopes in cook forest.
s2.jpg
The cut bank on the right is all sand
s1.jpg

Return to “Ohio”