Johnson Woods, aka Graber Woodlot, Wayne Co., OH

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

Johnson Woods, aka Graber Woodlot, Wayne Co., OH

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:00 pm

ENTS-

This morning I visited Johnson Woods state nature preserve near Marshallville, Ohio:http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/location/dna ... fault.aspx

This is a 200 acre old growth preserve with a very mature oak-hickory forest which is gradually transitioning to beech-maple. This woods was once known as the Graber woodlot, and as such was studied and written about by Lucy Braun(there is a discussion of this area in her book "The Deciduous Forests of Eastern North America").

The preserve has very little relief, perhaps a total of 4', and is wet at some times of the year, but there is a slightly elevated boardwalk that allows easy access. The boardwalk snakes through the area of old trees, with many fallen oaks evident, The ODNR website mentions trees 4' to 5' in diameter, but nothing close to the 5' size was visible. The forest consists primarily of white and red oaks, shagbark hickory, beech, white ash, red and sugar maples. Other species present included white elm, pin and swamp white oak. Species not present or at least not obvious were black oak, tulip-tree, walnut, cottonwood, and basswood.

My overall impression was that of a mature forest of limited species composition but with many nice old trees, especially white oaks, but there were no really huge trees present in the areas I saw. The canopy height consistently averaged 105'-110', with a few mature trees breaking above that. Much of the area was not visible from the boardwalk, so there could be trees of larger girth elsewhere in the park, but there were no ravines or coves that would promote really tall tress----I've come to realize here in N Ohio steep dissected topography is needed to to get heights above 130'.

Below are some photos and recorded sizes of a few trees in the preserve. All heights should be considered ''not less than", since the canopy is still pretty full and clean shots were difficult to get.

Northern red oak 114.7' x 11' 4'':
'.jpg
' crown.jpg
White oak 115.6' x 11' 10'':
'.jpg
' crown.jpg
Shagbark hickory 123.2' x 8' 11'':
'.jpg
' crown.jpg
Red maple 116' x 9' 1'':
'.jpg
' crown.jpg
Steve
every plant is native somewhere

dbhguru

Re: Johnson Woods, aka Graber Woodlot, Wayne Co., OH

Post by dbhguru » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:41 pm

Steve,

Excellent photos. I had the same experience -- no really tall trees. Ravines rule.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Rand

Post by Rand » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:45 pm

Nice Place. The biggest oaks are out there... off the boardwalk. ;) Though they don't quite equal Goll Woods in NW Ohio.

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:09 pm

Rand-

Where, relative the boardwalk, are the largest trees? And are they also taller, or just greater in girth?

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Rand

Post by Rand » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:16 pm

It's been awhile since I was there so my memory is a little hazy. If I remember right the biggest ones were east and west of the boardwalk. Once the leaves drop they should be more obvious. The trees were still full crowned so they were probably pretty tall.

Return to “Ohio”