A Northern Ohio (brief) report

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

A Northern Ohio (brief) report

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:27 pm

ENTS-

Today I visited (or at least tried to visit) Secrest Arboretum in Wooster, Ohio. Secrest is part Ohio State University's OARDC, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center. Sadly, a tornado a month ago devastated the collections, with some of the plantings a century old. Many of Secrest's collections are, or were unique, in that they were for silvicultural assessment---blocks of tree species planted adjacent to related species for comparison. The tornado really damaged the conifers section. Nearly all of the arboretum was closed and posted "No Trespassing", but I sneaked in to get the photos below.
Secrest sign.jpg
Tornado damage Secrest.jpg
Since I couldn't measure at Secrest as I had intended, I went to Sand Run, about 40 minutes away to the NE. I've reported on Sand Run numerous times in the past, and today I was just scouting other areas of the park for measuring possibilities after leaf drop. Here are a couple of finds:

An 89.2' x 7' 1'' Butternut;
'.jpg
And a nice Tulip-tree, 143.4' x 14' 10'';
'.jpg
' crown.jpg
The Tulip will likely go 150' plus after leaf drop, and I think there might be some Tulips in the park that will go to 165'(162.6" tallest so far)

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

dbhguru

Re: A Northern Ohio (brief) report

Post by dbhguru » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:20 am

Steve,

We anxiously await your report on the Tulips after leaf drop. I'm still hoping to get over to Ohio in the not too distant future. I was exhausted after last summer's western excursion and just wanted to get home. However, I will get back to Ohio tree measuring and it looks like there is going to be plenty that you'll be able to show me. Splendid report. Thanks for keeping the tree ENTS fires burning in Ohio.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:01 am

Bob & Steve,

I have plans also to return to what may be an outstanding grove of Tuliptrees. On a recent outing I measured two nice tulips in a grove in the Green River Game Lands. One of these trees topped 150. After hunting season and leaf-off I intend to return there and do a more detailed look at the trees in the area. It will be at least December 10th before I get back in there though.

Good luck and big trees!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Rand

Post by Rand » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:12 pm

Bummer about Secrest. The exotic conifer plantings were quite pretty.

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:21 pm

Bob, Rand, James--

Sand Run seems to be the premier tall tree site in NE Ohio, perhaps all of Ohio as yet recorded, with six species above 130', two above 140', and one above 160'. I'll continue to measure the tulips especially this fall and winter.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:43 pm

Steve, Hate to see tornado damage in a place like that. We lost a lot of trees in Panther Swamp National Refuge this spring to an F3 or F4. The same weather system that spawned a Tornado that destroyed Yazoo City. Larry

Return to “Ohio”