A nice black walnut

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Steve Galehouse

A nice black walnut

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:01 pm

ENTS-

Today I was scouting areas to measure after leaf drop, and found this nice single trunk black walnut along the Rocky River near my home----it measured 14' 2'' CBH and 92' in height. I think I will be able to get more height after leaf drop. Other large trees included sycamores, tulips, cottonwoods and ashes; I'll return later this fall to get measurements.
Walnut .jpg
Walnut trunk.jpg
Walnut crown.jpg
Steve
every plant is native somewhere

edfrank

Re: A nice black walnut

Post by edfrank » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Steve,

Very impressive walnut. I am looking forward to a more detailed trip report from Rocky River. In 2007 Carl harting and I measured a big walnut at Holden Arboretum - it was taller, but not as fat as yours - 11.2 feet, and a height of at least 126.9 feet. http://www.nativetreesociety.org/fieldt ... oretum.htm You had some nice fall foliage photos from the Black River and Rocky River a couple of years ago. http://www.nativetreesociety.org/photog ... e_2008.htm It looks very much like some of the gorges Dale and others have been lookng at near Erie PA. Keep on measuring!!

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:26 pm

Steve,

Wow, the leaves are dropping there already? Black walnut is among the first trees to lose it's leaves in the fall and to get them in the spring. At least around here in the NC mountains.

JP
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:34 pm

Steve, Niiice Walnut! Wish we had those down this way. I know of one in Southern Ms., in Ocean Springs. The nearest one after that is inland 35 miles near Wiggins Ms. Walnut is one of my favorite trees and I grew some years ago. I'd like to get some more growing. Larry

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:27 pm

ENTS-
I returned today and remeasured this walnut, and was able to get a height of 97.6'---I was hoping it would break 100', but on the flat floodplain it just couldn't, but 97.6' x 14' 2'' GBH is still pretty good. Also saw an unusually attractive Norway spruce, at 108' x 8' 7'', and measured from a distance a nice tuliptree at 123.5', and probably 12'-13' GBH. The weather is moderating the next few days, and I hope to return to Whipp's Ledges in Medina County to measure some large cucumber magnolias.

Walnut trunk, tape measure for scale:
Walnut trunk.jpg
Walnut, 14' 2'' x 97.6'
Walnut RR.jpg
Norway spruce, 108' x 8' 7''
Norway Spruce.jpg
Tuliptree across Rocky River, 123.5'
Tuliptree.jpg
Steve

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:21 am

Steve,

That's a nice Black Walnut. I have never seen one quite that big.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:16 am

Steve,

I second the comments of the others. One of the joys of traveling west each summer is the opportunity to cross the range of the black walnut. The range doesn't quite reach Massachusetts, so I must content myself looking at planted ones, but they're cool too.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:08 am

Bob-

We have a lot of walnut around here, especially in floodplain areas. A peculiar characteristic of walnuts, I have just come to realize, is an almost total lack of root/trunk flare or buttressing---very different from oaks and tulips. This could help to ID a tree from a distance.

Steve

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:57 am

dbhguru wrote:Steve,

I second the comments of the others. One of the joys of traveling west each summer is the opportunity to cross the range of the black walnut. The range doesn't quite reach Massachusetts, so I must content myself looking at planted ones, but they're cool too.

Bob
I've found "escaped" black walnut in the rich limestone soils of the Housatonic Valley in Berkshire County, Mass. One spot was in the woods which are part of one of those Victorian mansions in Lenox. Most likely some were planted on the estate and from there the species ran off into the woods, to be liberated! (ha, ha) What I found in the woods were small and seemed to be of the same age as nearby trees- which looked like an abandoned field.

Almost certainly this species and others were here and far to the north during warmer periods. Just trying to imagine these migrating ecosystems is truly mind boggling.
Joe

Return to “Ohio”