Walking Among (Dead) Giants, OH

Reports and information related to the Chestnut Project. This project was initiated by James Parton to document the remnants of American Chestnut still found in the eastern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Walking Among (Dead) Giants, OH

Post by edfrank » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:08 pm

Walking Among Giants
Standing adjacent to the rim of a cavern in Hocking county remains a enormous hull of a tree. Towering perhaps 60 feet above the forest floor, one feels the presence of this giant as if it were still a living being. Being dwarfed by its majesty, Jim Davidson gives scale to the remains. This American Chestnut, Castenea dentata, was undoubtedly a victim of the Chestnut blight which ravished trees from 1904-1940's forever changing the landscape of America.
http://cherylharner.blogspot.com/2011/1 ... iants.html

Click on image to see its original size
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Rand

Re: Walking Among (Dead) Giants, OH

Post by Rand » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:13 pm

Huh, I wonder where that one is hiding. Most stream valleys down there end in a semi-recessed cliff and a hollow, so it could be about anywhere.

Regardless I haven't seen very many sprout around that area either. There used to be a small tree growing between the two big hemlocks facing lower falls but that tree disappeared some time ago.

Return to “American Chestnut Project”