Chestnuts in Virginia

Reports and information related to the Chestnut Project. This project was initiated by James Parton to document the remnants of American Chestnut still found in the eastern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Chestnuts in Virginia

Post by edfrank » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:41 pm

Chestnuts in Virginia
http://www.virginiaplaces.org/natural/chestnut.html
A century ago, 20-25% of the trees in the Appalachian forests of Virginia were American chestnuts (Castanea dentata). It was a dominant "keystone" species that shaped the development of the other plants and animals around it. The chestnut grew slowly as an understory tree, waiting for a storm or other event to create a natural clearing and provide needed sunlight. Once the sapling was in direct sunlight, it could put on a rapid growth spurt and exceed the height of nearby oaks and maples, then drop nuts for future chestnut saplings that would wait their turn and maintain the dominance of the species in the mountain forest. ...
This is an excellent article about the American Chestnut, its history, current efforts to save the tree, and includes numerous links on the subject.

Ed Frank

[The extension mht has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

jamesrobertsmith

Re: Chestnuts in Virginia

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:02 pm

Wow. Nice article with some good, basic information. I've been waiting for the American chestnut to return since I was a kid. I keep hoping to see a blight resistant tree emerge before I croak.

James Parton

Re: Chestnuts in Virginia

Post by James Parton » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:12 am

Nice article, Ed!

James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “American Chestnut Project”