Group aims to save American Chestnut tree.

Reports and information related to the Chestnut Project. This project was initiated by James Parton to document the remnants of American Chestnut still found in the eastern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

James Parton

Group aims to save American Chestnut tree.

Post by James Parton » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:57 am

Walt Christian, The pastor of Dana United Methodist Church, sent me this interesting link by e-mail.

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/201 ... /101219969
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

edfrank

Re: Group aims to save American Chestnut tree.

Post by edfrank » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:09 pm

Group aims to save American chestnut tree

Special to the Times-News

Published: Monday, December 13, 2010 at 9:47 a.m.
Last Modified: Monday, December 13, 2010 at 9:47 a.m.

( page of 2 )

MAGGIE VALLEY — A local group has raised more than $10,000 — $10,396.08, to be exact — to support local, state and national efforts to bring back that mighty giant, the American chestnut tree.

The Cataloochee Branch of The American Chestnut Foundation sponsored its first annual Chestnut Saturday and fundraising dinner in September. The response to the event was tremendous.

More than 500 people joined in the festivities at Cataloochee Ranch. Found 45 minutes west of Asheville, Cataloochee Ranch already boasts an outstanding chestnut breeding orchard.

Chestnut Saturday was scheduled just before the branch's fundraising dinner. The day-long event featured crafts and vendors, bluegrass music, dancing, chestnut orchard tours, hiking, horseback riding, fishing, horseshoes, kids' games and wildlife biologist Rob Gudger's captive wolves. The branch's dinner featured entertainment and a live auction; the event nearly sold out.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “American Chestnut Project”