Appalachian Surface Mines Provide a Unique Setting

Reports and information related to the Chestnut Project. This project was initiated by James Parton to document the remnants of American Chestnut still found in the eastern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Appalachian Surface Mines Provide a Unique Setting

Postby edfrank » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:33 pm

Appalachian Surface Mines Provide a Unique Setting for the Return of the American Chestnut
By Christopher Barton, Michael French, Songlin Fei, Kathryn Ward, Robert Paris, Patrick Angel

http://www.thesolutionsjournal.com/node/688

In the Appalachian mountain region, the loss of the American chestnut, along with the visible scars of coal-related surface mining, have had a doubly devastating effect. However, it is in viewing these two ecological disasters together that the possibility of a solution emerges.

Surface Mines as a Springboard for Restoration
The use of surface mines for chestnut reestablishment is gaining acceptance as numerous successful reforestation projects, following the Forestry Reclamation Approach (FRA), have been demonstrated on mine lands across Appalachia (see www.arri.osmre.gov). Reasons abound for planting chestnuts on fresh mine spoils. First, loose mine spoils reclaimed using FRA techniques have shown good growth and high survival rates for other native Appalachian hardwood species and may also be suitable for chestnuts. Second, many surface mines exhibit light and soil chemical characteristics that are similar to higher elevation and ridgetop positions where chestnuts were dominant. Third, loose mine spoils are initially devoid of vegetative competition, a hindrance to many reforestation efforts. Fourth, fresh mine spoils may initially be devoid of pathogenic microbial communities such as Phytophthora, which have hindered TACF’s breeding and restoration efforts elsewhere.
 CONTINUED

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

For this message the author edfrank has received Likes :
James Parton
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 818 times
Has Been Liked: 587 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Appalachian Surface Mines Provide a Unique Setting

Postby Beth » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:23 am

That would be awesome if it works.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Trees are the Answer
Beth

Has Liked: 7 times
Has Been Liked: 4 times
Print view this post

Return to American Chestnut Project