The Drone height of a White Spruce

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Lucas

The Drone height of a White Spruce

Post by Lucas » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:18 am

Click on image to see its original size

https://goo.gl/photos/Cm6QSTm6HBfASqXDA

Video - What is the trick to linking google video? I tried but no luck.

The Adopt-A-Stream guy was by recently to check on the brook. He had a drone he uses for getting details on streams. He is also into trees so I had him check the height of a white spruce I have been wondering about. I meant to tape it with the similar triangles test but never got to it. He got 75 feet which seems about right. It is hard to believe oaks get to double that. A 75 foot tree is high here.

I could see right off how addictive a drone would be and how handy it would be for looking for trees and getting measurements. He ran it with his cell phone.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Don

Re: The Drone height of a White Spruce

Post by Don » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:26 pm

It's easy to envision a drone flying up, unreeling a measuring tape as it climbs, and when the drone levels off with the top, the operator verifies the spirit level that confirms it is the top, and reads the tape at the bottom for the height...
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Lucas

Re: The Drone height of a White Spruce

Post by Lucas » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:49 am

Don wrote:It's easy to envision a drone flying up, unreeling a measuring tape as it climbs, and when the drone levels off with the top, the operator verifies the spirit level that confirms it is the top, and reads the tape at the bottom for the height...
The drone provides relative height and distance from the operator. I don't know how or the accuracy but likely radio waves. A tape seems an unnecessary complication.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Return to “Nova Scotia”