Potential Pine site?

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Lucas

Potential Pine site?

Post by Lucas » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:00 pm

Click on image to see its original size

http://www.novascotia.ca/nse/protecteda ... serves.pdf

"​Indian Man Lake Nature Reserve This 126-hectare reserve north of Lower Caledonia, Guysborough County, has a mature mixed-wood forest with medium- to large-sized Red Oak and White Pine. This forest is representative of a now uncommon forest type in the province. Due to Nova Scotia’s land use history, large sized Red Oaks have all but disappeared from the woodlands of Nova Scotia."​

I saw the above brochure that said the above.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxVKa ... TlwWmRyUjg

I looked up the forestry inventory data and it shows WP at 25 m or 80 ft. Comparing that to known sites where trees were measured to 100 ft and lablelled as half that on the forestry inventory data has me wondering how high these pines really are.

https://nsgi.novascotia.ca/plv/

45.310 -62.244 Degrees

The latest imagery is on the above which has protected area overlays to help see the reserve.

It is about 70 miles from here. I would like to check it out but I am reluctant until I have more info. I have some requests in but does anyone here have more input?
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Joe

Re: Potential Pine site?

Post by Joe » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:39 pm

I quote that article: "Due to Nova Scotia’s land use history, large sized Red Oaks have all but disappeared from the woodlands of Nova Scotia"

yuh, that's polite Canadian talk for "they high graded and butchered the forests- taking out all the good trees, like the red oak"

Joe

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:37 am

I have posted before that it is bad here. Really bad.

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:31 pm

https://goo.gl/glKdM9

I was into Indian Man Lake Nature Reserve Friday for an hour.

I drove to the pipeline, via the Sutherland Brook road, with a small car which was a surprise and good because I was running short on daylight.

I am not familiar with the ecosystem in that area so it was a little hard to judge what I was seeing. The first impression was the oak and pine trees were not as high, or big, as expected. The pine reached perhaps 80 feet running 12-24" dbh and the oak 60 running 12-16" dbh. I was surprised that they were spaced widely. The trees obviously were old but the regen undergrowth was recent. Something seems to have suppressed regen for years for the trees to grow large and scattered without competition, until now. The current regen varies and is in patches. I didn't see an oak seedling until 440 M in. In the oak patch, oak regen is everywhere. Most of the seedling oak leaves looked stressed with fungal infections perhaps drought related. Around point 862, the oaks graded into a mountain maple regen patch.

The mature oaks looked different than what I normally see in North Col. I didn't see smooth bark on trees over 6 inches dbh. That may be be a sign of slow growth, poor soils, or other stressors. The trio of oaks at the end of the pix series were about the biggest I saw.

There were many pines with poor form, likely from weevil damage. I saw little pine regen which was surprising given the age of the pines there. There was spruce thicket regen in lots of spots.

I didn't see stumps from past logging or fire. There was some deadfall but the impression was of a secondary forest, not old growth. There was aspen, birch, and other early successional species present. I noticed a general lack of maple but I was not focused on them either.

There was little to no browsing sign on the oaks. Wildlife sign was low. I didn't see game trails or other sign.

The walking was slow with thickets and blowdown from small trees in most spots. I thought being mature woods it would be open but it was a real bushwhack instead.

I thought I took a lot of pix and video but it never looks like it later. I tried to ​sync the waypoints with pic numbers but, as usual, messed up with lots of errors. I was in a hurry and a lot of pix came out blurry. I resorted to VGA quality video which is usually a mistake, too.

A quick pass through in an hour is not much of a survey so a lot of what I have stated would likely be revised, if I had more time, but hopefully this is of use.
Last edited by Lucas on Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:38 pm

Return to “Nova Scotia”