3 big red spruce

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Lucas

3 big red spruce

Post by Lucas » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GOIhHmJ08M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj0fclM5V3s

I climbed this red spruce, last year. It is higher than the norm and I have been meaning to measure a windfall next to it since then.

Click on image to see its original size

The windfall above is similar in size and since I could tape it, it would be some comparison to the one climbed. The rootball is in the background.

I was surprise than it taped a minimum of 93 feet with a 6 ft circum. The standing one was 6 ft 7 in circum.

Click on image to see its original size

There were a couple of others in the same class but I didn't go over to check them.

These trees are surrounded by clear cut regen. I don't know why they were left. They are growing next to a brook so had constant water on a plain with sandy soil.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Lucas

Re: 3 big red spruce

Post by Lucas » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:26 pm

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:56 pm

Lucas,

If that spruce is over 100' and 30", it should pretty significant for NS, and Canada in general. It must be quite sturdy to emergent in a climate like that. Your height estimate probably isn't too far off, as long as you could see the top and bottom clearly. With a straight tree like a red spruce, the stick method can get you in the ballpark. Keep up the good work.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:19 am

ElijahW wrote:Lucas,

If that spruce is over 100' and 30", it should pretty significant for NS, and Canada in general. It must be quite sturdy to emergent in a climate like that. Your height estimate probably isn't too far off, as long as you could see the top and bottom clearly. With a straight tree like a red spruce, the stick method can get you in the ballpark. Keep up the good work.

Elijah
Good to know re: the stick method.

I doubt I have seen much that was as high or higher.

Return to “Nova Scotia”