big fir?

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Lucas

big fir?

Post by Lucas » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:08 pm

Click on image to see its original size

I was wandering around on my land and saw this nice looking red spruce. It seemed to be an emergent over the canopy and maybe 70 feet tall. Close up the growth pattern seemed odd and it hit me it was likely Balsam Fir. The crown was too high to see detail but it was surrounded by young fir and no spruce. If fir it is one of tallest I have seen here.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

ElijahW

Re: big fir?

Post by ElijahW » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:42 pm

Lucas,

Great looking tree. It looks to me like a spruce. Balsam fir crowns are normally much more angular, coming to a sharp point at the top. If you can't see the top, the bark should give an easy ID; balsam fir has pretty smooth-looking and somewhat spongy bark with small blisters, while spruce will be darker, firmer, and flaky.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:53 pm

In addition, fir cones grow up and spruce cones hang.

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:57 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmsfP61DeKw&feature=youtu.be

The axe is 26 inches so the tree is around 18.

I looked at the top with 8X42 binoculars and it had the big bushy coontail needles like a fir.
I saw cones but can't remember if they were up or down.
It has a double leader at the top which may be why its shape seems non-fir.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:07 pm

Lucas- Here is a link to a posting from 2013. The tree in your photo looks more like a Spruce. http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=136&t=5922 Larry

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:10 pm

Larry Tucei wrote:Lucas- Here is a link to a posting from 2013. The tree in your photo looks more like a Spruce. http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=136&t=5922 Larry
Could be. I didn't spend a lot of time on it.

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:08 pm

Lucas,

Excellent photo of the bark. This tree is a spruce, but I can't say for sure what variety. I'm not good enough to declare "red," "black," or "white" without seeing it in person. Do you have white spruce in that immediate area? The color of those needles could be mistaken for balsam fir needles - I've done it. Whatever the species is, it's a pretty tree of respectable size. To compare, mature red spruces on good sites in the Adirondacks will be close to this size.

Elijah

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:21 pm

ElijahW wrote:Lucas,

Excellent photo of the bark. This tree is a spruce, but I can't say for sure what variety. I'm not good enough to declare "red," "black," or "white" without seeing it in person. Do you have white spruce in that immediate area? The color of those needles could be mistaken for balsam fir needles - I've done it. Whatever the species is, it's a pretty tree of respectable size. To compare, mature red spruces on good sites in the Adirondacks will be close to this size.

Elijah

Elijah
There is white spruce, mostly field grown invasives. I suppose it could be a forest white spruce. They have to come from somewhere. Typically White spruce is along the coast where it tolerates salt spray but the abandonment of fields has lead to an explosion of it. We just cut some that were big. The logger didn't think any were over 60 feet but after measuring the red spruce today, I wonder.

This is one that is left that I wonder how high it is.

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:57 pm

ElijahW wrote:Lucas,
To compare, mature red spruces on good sites in the Adirondacks will be close to this size.
Good to know. It is very hard to get a sense of the norm here vs elsewhere.

This is the red spruce core range here. I assume there can be a few impressive trees left.

Return to “Nova Scotia”