Richmond County, Cape Breton Island

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

zenjah

Richmond County, Cape Breton Island

Post by zenjah » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:13 am

Here are some photos from my most recent trip to Cape Breton Island. The location is a 300 acre woodlot owned by my family, first settled by my Scottish ancestors in the 1820s, and last occupied year-round in the 1920s.

Some of the land was cleared for farming by the settlers, and most areas have been clear-cut for pulp at some time in the last century. Many areas are returning to forest while some are slow to recover. One particular area has some gnarly old hardwoods, pit-and-mound topography, and other characteristics that make it seem more wild than the rest. The hardwoods are mostly Sugar Maple, Red Maple, Yellow Birch, Paper Birch, Beech, Pin Cherry, and Black Ash. The conifers include Red Spruce, Balsam Fir, Larch, and a variety of others. Numerous Black Spruce were planted in some areas after clear-cutting in the past.

114 photos of Cape Breton Island

378 photos of Cape Breton Island (taken by my brother with a better camera and more skill!)

Click on image to see its original size

Comments welcome,

--Todd

James Parton

Re: Richmond County, Cape Breton Island

Post by James Parton » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:48 am

Todd,

Beautiful! It reminds me of the forests of the high Appalachians.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:28 am

It does look like some of the higher elevation forests here in NC.

Cape Breton is high on the list of places to visit for me and my wife. We want to hit all of the Atlantic provinces of Canada.

Why the photos of the 1948 newspapers? That's a nice patch of land. Is the bare patch in the photos an old home site? Is there still a habitable home on the property? What kinds of critters do you have around there?

zenjah

Post by zenjah » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:29 am

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, the bare patch surrounds an old house on the property that I stay in when I visit. The old newspapers were revealed while stripping wallpaper. Some of them are as old as 1906. I'm not sure why I left them in the photo set that otherwise focuses on nature.

Critters include deer, coyotes, bobcats, porcupines, rabbits, red squirrels, bats, eagles, hawks, owls, ravens, crows, grouse, lots of smaller birds, snakes, frogs, and toads. There are plenty of black flies, deer flies, and mosquitoes. And a river with salmon and trout. I'm sure there are lots of critters that I haven't seen or heard yet. On my last visit I saw a huge Barred Owl fly low over the trail in daylight.

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:23 pm

I kind of figured the newspapers had something to do with the house. A few years ago a huge stash of very rare and valuable comics were found in a house that was being demolished. They'd been set into the walls as insulation. Some of the books were among the rarest known copies.

I read a news article from, I think, this year, about a young woman who was attacked and killed by coyotes in a provincial park in Nova Scotia. Very surprising to read that. I think she was 19 years old and out jogging on a park trail.

Return to “Nova Scotia”