Linville Gorge_Spence Ridge

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

James Parton

Re: Linville Gorge_Spence Ridge

Post by James Parton » Fri May 07, 2010 5:00 am

Don,

My wife has to have a fan on as background noise to sleep.

The biggest fish caught was a 16 inch rainbow trout that I caught. Brian caught a brown trout that was slightly shorter but was heavier. He also caught a 13 inch smallmouth bass. Most fish averaged 9-10 inches. Just eating sized.

Last summer Brian hooked and lost a trout that was over 20 inches!

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri May 07, 2010 9:02 am

James, Sounds like a wonderful place! Good photos to. I know exactly what you mean after a jaunt like that its hard to go back to civilization! Larry

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Fri May 07, 2010 5:46 pm

Larry,

I just wish I would win the lottery and had a cabin in the woods. I would then live in the forest and never have to leave for work again. What a dream.....

ENTS,

Check out the little map here. 233 is the Spence Ridge Trail. 231 is the Linville Gorge Trail and 229 is the Conley Cove Trail. " C " is for our camps approximate location near the trail.
Spence Ridge.jpg
Spence Ridge.jpg (120.78 KiB) Viewed 1112 times
James
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

james loftis

Post by james loftis » Fri May 07, 2010 8:56 pm

James,

The other James here, wanted to say awesome pictures, particularly liked that newt, or eft? Not so up to par on my amphibians but enjoy them just the same. Really enjoyed the pictures of the boulders too, might have to venture back to Linville sometime just to boulder around a little. Might let it cool off to keep from snaggin a snake by accident! Friend of mine about grabbed a handfull of copper-head once at a lakeside cliff in the New River Gorge area in WV.
On Oct. 19, 2007 me and the same aforementioned friend did a beastly last minute trip to Linville with the purpose of climbing something old and tall. The trip was a complete fools errand. We got started way too late, started our hike on the Babel Tower trail at 6:30pm with really no idea where we wanted to camp. We had another guy with us who we now use to blame for all our poor judgement/late arrival to the gorge. I had talked my friend Lucas into leaving the sleeping bags because we already had so much other gear. Needless to say we nearly froze when we finally arrived at the river and found the only flat non-rock space already filled with a tent. At this point it was 10:40pm. We somehow found enough dead dry debris to get a fire going. Every time the fire died down we woke up, shivering.
The next morning we found a pretty impressive and still living hemlock growing at the intersection of the Babel Tower trail and the Linville Gorge Trail. I don't know its exact height, I didn't have a range finder or anything like that in those days. It was well over 100' just based on our estimates using our climbing ropes. My buddy Lucas went up first on a single-line. He set my rope and I foot-locked up on a doubled-rope. I climbed to within a couple feet of the tip and I would've had no where near enough rope to get down on a Ddrt system. I planned to descend and re-tie in anyway just to keep from getting my friction saver stuck way up in the canopy.
This tree didn't look too faded out from adelgid yet but it was inhabited by the pest. We had to look long and hard to even find one that was alive. It breaks my heart to see these giant trunks in siloette and then to look up into a denuded crown. I was somewhat surprised to not see any white pines on the big tree list from Linville. I remember passing some monsters on the Babel Tower trail. I also remember seeing some towering above the other trees down by the river itself.
Wasn't intending to hi-jack your thread here James. Sorry if I got a little carried away. Your posts just reminded me of what an awesome place Linville is, and super remote! Now that I have a range finder and a clinometer on order (and now that I figured out what I was doing wrong with the formula while punching the numbers into the calculator) I am going to have to go back. Not to mention that I never really spent any time at all in the gorge proper. The size of those boulders in your pictures blew me away. I like to climb rocks as well as trees and those boulders looked big enough to tool around on. Awesome! ENTS are awesome! I can't believe it took me so long to hear about you guys.

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Fri May 07, 2010 9:33 pm

James L,

I never made it far enough up the Linville Gorge Trail to get to Babel Tower but it sounds great. I have so much I wanna do in Linville Gorge. The place is so awesome!

You mentioned the boulders. Some of them are way bigger than the average house. Dang huge. When they block your way and the water is deep they can be a challenge to get over, or around. Most people don't carry climbing gear while fishing. I brought a baby one home to set on my computer desk...

You did not hi-jack my post. You added to it. That's cool. I invite others to do the same.

By the way, they are three James's on ENTS. The other is James Smith. He is also a big fan of Linville Gorge. I am sure if he where online, he would make a comment on Linville Gorge upon seeing this post.

James Parton

P.S. A Red Eft is a juvenile Common ( Eastern ) Newt.
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu May 13, 2010 10:18 am

ENTS,

I should add that the Craig Pine is located in Black Mountain. I tried to find the road Chris Craig lives on but could not remember the name to find it on Google Earth.

James
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

Return to “North Carolina”