Exchange Club Park, Hillsborough, NC

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

pdbrandt

Exchange Club Park, Hillsborough, NC

Post by pdbrandt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:31 am

NTS,

Exchange Club Park is a privately owned, but publicly available park in Hillsborough, NC. According to the park's website,
Exchange Club Park, located at 331 Exchange Club Lane just outside downtown Hillsborough, is privately owned and operated. The park consists of 16 acres and includes one baseball field that is used frequently for scheduled Hillsborough Youth Athletic Association games. The park also has two playgrounds and open space areas, as well as 16 picnic tables and picnic shelters.
Those 16 acres enclose one of the best sites I have found in my immediate area for measuring tall trees. The park is watched over by towering sycamore and tulip poplar trees. I measured the 10 most prominent trees (all over 110 feet tall), but there are at least another 10 tulip poplars above 100 feet tall that line the creek bordering the park.

As you can see from the pictures below, the trees in the park are at an ideal density to allow them to compete vertically for sunlight but not crowd each others' crowns. The tall, symmetrical crowns and the uncluttered bases are visible from numerous points in the park making this site a perfect place for honing my tree measuring skills.

Here are the measurements for the top 10 trees in the park. Please excuse the strange tree descriptors.
photo.JPG
You'll notice that I reported two height calculations for a few of the trees. These represent the measurements I was most confident in from opposite sides of the trees. I was tempted to only report the highest value (or average them together), but the ability to measure these trees from opposite sides was rather eye opening for me and brings up a couple of points for discussion.

1) a precision-obsessed NTSer could go insane trying to pin down the "exact" height of a tree from the ground.
2) as pointed out by many a seasoned measurer, what looks like the tallest twig from one vantage point is often not the true tallest point. The two measurements for the "garbage can tulip poplar" being a perfect example. Hence the need for multiple measurements whenever possible. In a forest setting or after leaf out multiple measurements might not be possible so I should report single (or challenging) measurements with that disclaimer.
3) Even when aiming at the same twig from different sides of the tree, you're not likely to get the exact same measurement. I suspect this could also be said for measuring the same tree from the same spot on different days. This discrepancy represents the "human error" in the sine method. Hopefully as I measure more trees my human error will go down!

I've heard all these points in Will, Ed, and Bob's various online presentations and written guides, but it was helpful to have a first hand reminder.

Enjoy the pictures:
122.2', 10', 6." CBH "Parking lot" Sycamore
122.2', 10', 6." CBH "Parking lot" Sycamore
115.9', 7', 11" CBH "parking lot" Tulip Poplar in the foreground.  Sycamore from first picture above in the background.
115.9', 7', 11" CBH "parking lot" Tulip Poplar in the foreground. Sycamore from first picture above in the background.
112.6', 9', 2" CBH Tulip Poplar (aka the garbage can TP)
112.6', 9', 2" CBH Tulip Poplar (aka the garbage can TP)
115.1', 12', 8" CBH Sycamore near baseball diamond
115.1', 12', 8" CBH Sycamore near baseball diamond
Canopy of the baseball diamond Sycamore
Canopy of the baseball diamond Sycamore
114.5', 9', 1" CBH Tulip Poplar with sign on it
114.5', 9', 1" CBH Tulip Poplar with sign on it
114.4', 10', 7" CBH Sycamore near concession stand
114.4', 10', 7" CBH Sycamore near concession stand
110.9' Tulip Poplar near main road
110.9' Tulip Poplar near main road
Patrick

bbeduhn

Re: Exchange Club Park, Hillsborough, NC

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Patrick,
You're learning very valuable lessons. I've visited several open grown sycamores on several occasions, trying to get accurate measurements. The third time is usually the charm. They're notoriously difficult for pinpointing the true top.
Sometimes the fourth vantage point proves true. Even on white pines, different sides will often yield different results. The higher measurement is almost always the true measurement, barring mechanical error or midslope error.
Brian

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:35 pm

Patrick,

Very nice looking trees. I imagine many a young ballplayer has appreciated their shade.

As far as being confident in the numbers, I didn't have complete confidence until I started using a tripod. I envy those that can get an accurate clinometer reading without one, but I guess that comes with practice.

- Matt

pdbrandt

Post by pdbrandt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:44 am

Here are some interactive spherical panoramas of the park and its beautiful sycamores and tulip poplars. The pictures were created with the free photosynth app for iPhone.

I hope you enjoy them!

http://photosynth.net/view/65d91c00-973 ... fe4ae1fdff

http://photosynth.net/view/b75e8c87-3b4 ... 1f171ad3ef

http://photosynth.net/view/a7a49227-e00 ... c6059bcff6

http://photosynth.net/view/e2cc11f1-c45 ... 7ba58234f6
Patrick

Return to “North Carolina”