Kenilworth Pinetum, Asheville, NC

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

bbeduhn

Kenilworth Pinetum, Asheville, NC

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:46 am

Having just measured a dawn redwood a few houses away, I noticed what looked like an incense cedar sticking out on a wooded lot. I stopped and took a look. The property abounded with exotics. I couldn't even tell what most of them were. Hearing voices I walked up and introduced myself. The owners had owned the property for about a year and weren't certain of what they had. It turns out the property was owned by a forest service entomologist, Charles Speers, for roughly 50 years, who also ran Land of the Sky Nurseries. The current owners are building a guest house on the top of the property but insisted on relocating a few trees rather than simply removing them. They genuinely care about continuing the pinetum despite not knowing all that much about the trees.

I had some trouble IDing quite a few but came to conclusions on all but a handful. There are several very old white oaks and an old tuliptree but it appears that all conifers were planted by Mr. Speers.

Pinus strobus white pine 128' several others in the 110'-120' range
Cedrus deodara deodar cedar 68.3' several others
Taxodium distichum baldcypress 80.3'
Metasequoia glypto. dawn redwood 92.5'
Calocedrus decurrens incense cedar 89.8' tough shot, likely a bit taller
Cunninghamia lanceolata china-fir 81.9' dozens of these on the property
Cryptomeria japonica japanese cedar 71.7' 59.3'
Larch (likely European, larix decidua) 81.4'
Abies alba Euro silver fir 67.8' grove of 40'-50'
Abies fraseri fraser fir several

??????
very narrow spruce 67.4' 60.6'
fir #1 74.2'
fir #2 65.5'

This pinetum was visited in 2004 by Will Blozan and B.Van Pelt. Apparently, the question mark trees are quite rare.

Larry Tucei

Re: Kenilworth Pinetum, Asheville

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:53 am

Brian, Cool post. The new owners sound like some real special people. Wow what a beautiful group of species. Did you happen to get any photos of the trees? Deodar is one of my all time favorite trees!! The MSMS Campus (Mississippi School for Mathmatics and Science) in Columbus have a really large Deodar planted somewhere around 1890-1900. I saw the tree years back when a cousin of mine attended classed there. I need to get back up a measure that baby its big! Larry

bbeduhn

Re: Kenilworth Pinetum, Asheville

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:18 pm

Larry,
It's nearby so I'll get some good photos of the property and especially of the species I cannot identify.
Brian

Return to “North Carolina”