Metasequoia Glyptostroboides (Dawn Redwood)

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

bbeduhn

Re: Metasequoia Glyptostroboides (Dawn Redwood)

Post by bbeduhn » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:12 pm

Biltmore Estate Metasequoia Grove by Visitor Center

130.4'

Honey Drive, East Asheville

100.1'

George Fieo

Post by George Fieo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:34 am

Brian,

I commend you on your efforts to document Metasequoia Glyptostroboides. It’s an impressive species. Since it’s introduction into the United States I believe timing of planting and location are key factors for maximum dimensions. I have mentioned a specimen before with such dimensions. It’s height. The tree is located in a former DuPont site now know as Mt Cuba in Delaware. Several years ago I did a straight up laser rangefinder shot from the road that put the tree at around 162’. The tree is likely over 165’ by now. I promise to accurately measure it by years end. The Morris Arboretum, just north of Wissahickon Valley Park, Pa, has two specimen over 120’. Hers a link to the tallest. http://www.pabigtrees.com/tree_detail.a ... 9195739503

George

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:16 pm

George,
I remember reading about that 160' MG. I thought the southern Apps might be the finest habitat for dawn redwoods but it appears that the Central Atlantic may be the ideal region in the US. I've measured quite a few over 120' and several over 127', but just one to 130'.

The Philly arboretum redwoods grow very closely together. I usually see them spaced wider apart. The 180" circumference is impressive, especially being so close to other Metasequoias. It does appear that the ground stays wet, perhaps leading to a wider bole, but that's still a wide bole, almost Taxodium sized.
Brian

Return to “North Carolina”