Genessee Valley Park, Monroe County

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ElijahW

Genessee Valley Park, Monroe County

Post by ElijahW » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:17 pm

NTS,

Genesee Valley Park, located within the city of Rochester, combines extensive open areas with planted trees and several small sections of narrow overgrown forest. A paved trail lined with oaks and Blackgums follows the last bit of Red Creek to its terminus at the Erie Canal. The Genessee River flows along the western border of the park and its two golf courses. The European Alder is the only tree listed below from the golf course portion of the park. The forest, of course is where the most interesting trees grow, so that’s where most of my measurements are from.

Here’s a link to Monroe County’s page for the park: https://www2.monroecounty.gov/parks-geneseevalley.php

Because Genessee Valley Park is a Frederick Law Olmsted design, my assumption is that nearly all mature trees here were planted. As with nearby Seneca and Highland Parks, Olmsted was very creative in his choice of plantings, and Genessee Valley’s forested areas make for an eclectic mix of species. Here’s what I’ve found in my several visits over the last two or three years:

Tuliptree Liriodendron tulipifera

124.7’ x 10.91’ (several more of similar size but shorter)

Cucumber Magnolia Magnolia acuminata

91.3’ x 7.79’

European Larch Larix decidua

104.9’ x 7.49’

Shingle Oak Quercus imbricaria

102.8’ x 5.83’

Pin Oak Quercus palustris

102.1’ x 10.93’

Bur Oak Quercus macrocarpa

101.6’
94.6’ x 7.88’

Mockernut Hickory Carya tomentosa

95.5’ x 5.15’

Kentucky Coffeetree Gymnocladus diocus

91.4’

Northern Catalpa Catalpa speciosa

78.4’ x 5.93’

Blackgum Nyssa sylvatica

102.2’ x 6.2’

Hackberry Celtis occidentalis

87.9’ x 16.12’ (open-grown)

European Black Alder Alnus glutinosa

79.1’
Big Hackberry
Big Hackberry
European Larches
European Larches
102’ Blackgum
102’ Blackgum
102’ Shingle Oak
102’ Shingle Oak
Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Erik Danielsen

Re: Genessee Valley Park, Monroe County

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:33 am

That Hackberry really stands out and definitely exceeds the listed state champion in Livingston county.

Interesting to see the results of an "artificial forest" like this, with that nicely formed shingle oak and tall blackgum. Looks like the larches are really driving vertical growth in the hardwoods. The photo you've captioned as the black gum sure looks like it's the cuke, though.

ElijahW

Re: Genessee Valley Park, Monroe County

Post by ElijahW » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:06 pm

Erik,

You may be right about the blackgum photo. I measured it about two years ago, and haven’t taken a close look at it since. It sure does look like Cucumber magnolia; I’ll make sure the next time I visit.

The Hackberry is an older tree and appears to have been “encouraged” to grow fat at the base. I think it’s a single tree, but a close look at the trunk reveals a clear seam where at least two stems have grown together. I wouldn’t nominate this tree for inclusion in a champion list because of that. With that said, the current state champion may have a similar growth form. But I don’t know that.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Return to “New York”