Zoar Valley protected forest to grow by over 600 acres

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Lucas

Zoar Valley protected forest to grow by over 600 acres

Post by Lucas » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Click on image to see its original size

https://buffalonews.com/2019/02/07/zoar ... M0UZBrYfY4

"Zoar Valley protected forest to grow by over 600 acres"

Not likely news here, especially, since it was on the Facebook site but good to know.

I love the header pic. It makes you think of what it would be like in the past. It also resembles valleys in the Highlands here.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Erik Danielsen

Re: Zoar Valley protected forest to grow by over 600 acres

Post by Erik Danielsen » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:23 pm

Really looking forward to getting into this new parcel.

I was also really struck by the aerial photograph. Not only is it stunning to look at, but the things you don't even realize you're looking at are incredible themselves. The first foreground terrace that comes down from the left is the home of the 125' American Elm and I can even faintly see the 140' white pine's emergent crown popping up through when I look close. The 158.9' Tulip and 145' Northern Red Oak are among the crowns you see on that second terrace that comes down from the right. The next terrace coming down from the left behind it has the canyon's oldest stands including a white ash whose highest dead top is 142' high, and the fuzzy area of small-crowned trees on the slope leading down to it is an elfin forest of stunted oaks and pines 165+ years old.

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:51 pm

Erik Danielsen wrote:Really looking forward to getting into this new parcel.

I was also really struck by the aerial photograph. Not only is it stunning to look at, but the things you don't even realize you're looking at are incredible themselves. The first foreground terrace that comes down from the left is the home of the 125' American Elm and I can even faintly see the 140' white pine's emergent crown popping up through when I look close. The 158.9' Tulip and 145' Northern Red Oak are among the crowns you see on that second terrace that comes down from the right. The next terrace coming down from the left behind it has the canyon's oldest stands including a white ash whose highest dead top is 142' high, and the fuzzy area of small-crowned trees on the slope leading down to it is an elfin forest of stunted oaks and pines 165+ years old.
What is a terrace here?

Can you point them out plus the other features?
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:41 pm

The Terraces are the low flat-ish areas of river-deposited soil in the gorge bottom, which is where the tallest trees grow. I'm surprised how many very specific things I can make out in this photo. Attached is an annotated version.
POY-171476-Zoar-Valley-aerial-1260x800.jpg

Return to “New York”