New York Pin Cherry Height Records

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

JHarkness

New York Pin Cherry Height Records

Post by JHarkness » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:45 pm

ENTS,

What are the current height records for prunus pensylvanica? The Trees Database lists a maximum height of 62.1' and the best height I could find on American Forests was 45', though I vaguely remember a 60 or 70' tree at one time. Last year I discovered a whopper of a pin cherry on my property which is without a doubt, the unregistered New York State Champion, I haven't been able to measure it accurately with leaves in the way, but it's just shy of 80' tall and over 4' in circumference, I have measured it with my rangefinder, which if I remember correctly came out to 75 or 76', but I suspect that it's a little taller, it's an old tree, but in excellent health. I have a second pin cherry that I always though of as rather unimpressive, only about 2' in CBH, but it turns out to be 78.0' tall. Would this be NY's tallest accurately measured pin cherry (assuming my other cherry is not taller, of course)?

Joshua Harkness
"Be not simply good; be good for something." Henry David Thoreau

Erik Danielsen

Re: New York Pin Cherry Height Records

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:59 am

Josh,

Yep, that'd be a new state record at the least. I measured the 62.1' tree in Zoar Valley, and Elijah reported a 70' tree in the Wizard of Oz Oak Grove that apparently isn't in the database, but it's an underdocumented species overall. I'm used to seeing more dead ones on the ground in mid-successional stands than live ones, and had thought they were mainly restricted to the uplands of this region- and then this summer found that gnarled, stunted specimens were a major component of the flora of lake erie's shale cliffs. Quite a surprise.

There is a 96' tree in NC apparently, though I'm not sure if its identity was ever confirmed with certainty. It'd be in the right place to find a pin cherry that tall, though.

Just make sure they're not Prunus avium. The bark and form can be quite similar, but the leaves are strongly different as are the flowering/fruiting structures (though it's probably a little late to see those).

JHarkness

Re: New York Pin Cherry Height Records

Post by JHarkness » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:49 am

Erik,

Good to know. I'm sure of it's identification, I have a prunus avium and it is definitely not the same species, quite a noticeable leaf difference, even the bark texture is somewhat different, I also have never seen one grow like this tree has, it's incredibly skinny and very tall with a straight trunk and a narrow crown. It's still growing fast and it's only half the age of my larger one, so we may see it really turn into a giant pin cherry one day.

I also think pin cherry is very under documented here, this spring I came across a double in the Adirondacks, each trunk was almost 4' in CBH and it probably was over 65' tall, though I didn't have any measuring equipment on me, I'm hoping to return to it soon.

Joshua
"Be not simply good; be good for something." Henry David Thoreau

Return to “New York”