Old Growth Trails to use: Shindagin and Green Lakes, NY?

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

greif

Old Growth Trails to use: Shindagin and Green Lakes, NY?

Post by greif » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:46 am

I plan an old growth hike this weekend and would like to hit at least 2 places along the way I need to go. Green Lakes State Park is one. I see that the trail on the south side of Round Lake is one area of old growth- any others at Green Lakes?
here is the map: https://parks.ny.gov/parks/attachments/ ... ailMap.pdf

The other place is Shindagin Hollow Forest . Which trails have old growth? (or off trails if need be)
map; https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/regions_pdf/shdhll.pdf

ElijahW

Re: Old Growth Trails to use: Shindagin and Green Lakes, NY?

Post by ElijahW » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:47 pm

Grief,

The “OG” trail west and south of Round Lake is the best bang for your buck. Continuing west, beyond the power lines, the “BR” trail is also excellent. Both areas have lots of old, large trees. If you’re interested in cedars, you really have to stick to the lower trails around both lakes. Much of the slopes around the lakes are old growth, but too steep to traverse safely.

The quickest way to the area above Round Lake is to take the first right turn past the admissions booth. Follow the road uphill toward the Rolling Hills camping area, all the way to its end. The OG trail is located at the west end of the campsites. Take the trail downhill into the woods and you’ll be in old growth in less than five minutes. The park should be free to get in until springtime.

Shindagin I haven’t been to, so I can’t help with that.

Enjoy,

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Return to “New York”