Fischer Old Growth Natural Area, Newfield, NY

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Re: Fischer Old Growth Natural Area, Newfield, NY

Post by dbhguru » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:49 am

Elijah,

Ditto to what Erik said. Great to have you back doing what you do so well. We are now in the decade of New York state. I had no doubt that the Empire State had many secrets to reveal, but the pace of discovery has been more rapid than I imagined. Somewhere, NY has a 170-foot white pine. And there are lots more super white pine site sin the Dacks. Rob has been finding lots of small sites with big pines.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

ElijahW

Re: Fischer Old Growth Natural Area, Newfield, NY

Post by ElijahW » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:40 pm

Joshua,

Thank you. This isn’t the skinniest 150’ White Pine I’ve found, but it’s close. This doesn’t look like a particularly old tree; my guess is that it’s in the same age class as the tall hemlock.

Your observations on White Ash and Tuliptree growth are interesting. They seem to do well together at least from Oneida County west to PA, where both species are present. I’m not familiar enough with Eastern NY or New England as a whole to draw any conclusions there, but I’ll take your word for it. I don’t know why one species would be dominant in one region but not another. I noticed a while back that our friend Morgan had planted some Tulips in the Adirondacks; perhaps in a couple of hundred years, we can see how they compete with the mighty Ashes of the north!

Bob, Erik,

Thanks to you guys, as well. Hopefully lots of great stuff to come. Time to get back to work.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Return to “New York”