Canadaway Creek Outlet Floodplain

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Erik Danielsen

Re: Canadaway Creek Outlet Floodplain

Post by Erik Danielsen » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:47 pm

As an update on some of the interesting trees at this site, discussed at length above-

The elms on the floodplain I had believed to be Rock Elm are Siberian Elm. The elms on the cliff above the lake nearby, which I had assumed to be the same species and did display winged twigs, had entirely different flowers from the floodplain trees, and neither flowers or seeds from that population are compatible with Rock Elm. I now believe the trees on the cliff must be yet another exotic Ulmus that shares the trait of developing winged bark on some twigs.

Exploring other butternut populations in the area and reviewing reference materials in addition to the linked Purdue paper, I have come to believe that the Purdue paper neglects to describe the full range of variation in relevant twig traits in J. cinerea. If working with this paper as a primary reference, one would find twig traits within the natural variation of cinerea to indicate hybridity with Japanese Heartnut- such as slightly elongated lenticels and a shallow indentation to the top of the leaf scar. These same traits can be found in upland J. cinerea populations with more or less zero probability of hybridity, as well as older herbarium material. When I have had a chance to look at true Buart hybrid materials the differences are much more pronounced. It is not impossible that there is some hybridity here, but it is also not at all assured. I would not recommend the Purdue paper as a solitary guide to the subject, though it certainly has plenty of valuable information. The canadaway drainage continuing upstream into the village of Fredonia turns out to be a stronghold of well-formed, healthy butternuts, so I'll have more numbers to report for this species soon.

Return to “New York”