Leolyn Grove at Lilydale, NY Revisited

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

gnmcmartin

Re: Leolyn Grove at Lilydale, NY Revisited

Post by gnmcmartin » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:36 pm

I should chime in about black cherry. My timberland in the mountains of Western MD is prime for top quality black cherry. I am at the farthest south extension of the Allegheny Plateau black cherry region. My trees are about 80 years old, which is a prime age for black cherry veneer production. But I haven't cut any, except as a part of silvicultural/TSI thinning/harvests. I don't know just how tall they will grow given more time, but my best are something over 100 feet--maybe up to 110. My guess is given another 40 years or so, something like 125 or a bit more is likely. Many have perfect form, and the color of my cherry trees is the sort much prized by producers of veneer panels. The veneer buyer I have dealt with--5 different times--says that the black cherry on my specific timberland is easily the best he has seen in MD, and has made a special request to call him any time I have any.

As for the genetics of Allegheny black cherry: I am not sure that this is an important factor, if any, in the quality of Allegheny Plateau black cherry. It could be that it is strictly climate. A number of years ago, Musser Forests offered what they said were superior black cherry seedlings grown from seed collected from carefully selected trees. But after one or two years, they no longer offered these seedlings. At about the same time I read a research article about a study of the genetics of black cherry, and one of the findings was that seedlings from the strongest and straightest trees did not produce better offspring than other, more average cherry trees. The suggestion was that for some reason the genetic basis for superior black cherry was complex, and that much more work would have to be done beyond simply collecting seed from the best trees to improve the performance of seedlings. Of course, grafted seedlings would produce superior trees, but that involves more difficult production.

--Gaines

JHarkness

Re: Leolyn Grove at Lilydale, NY Revisited

Post by JHarkness » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:11 pm

Erik,

I like what you've done with volume modeling the Stagheaded Oak, I think modeling hardwoods across many forms with this level of precision and comparing it to rougher measurements should enable us to see just how much of a hardwood's volume can be accurately estimated without modeling its entire crown. Ironically, I came up with the same volume modeling process recently but I never used it as I felt it would simply be too time consuming, I think combining data collected from rangefinder and monocular with the wonderous tool of digital photography can seriously push our volume modeling methodology forward. That said, I'm curious how long it took to measure those 120 frustums?

Your work on this tree has inspired me to do more precise volume modeling.
"Be not simply good; be good for something." Henry David Thoreau

Return to “New York”