Sugar Maple

109.6' x 9'3"

American Basswood

107.8' x 8'1"

Tamarack

98' x 5'2"

Paper Birch (Betula papyrifera)

91.1' x 6'

Aside from the tamarack listed above, all of the trees in this post were measured off-trail. This lovely tamarack is located near the start of the trail after crossing under the interstate. On the ascent to the top of Severance Hill are several nice large White Pines which I haven't measured, but I don't think they'll exceed 120' in height. Severance's summit, though not tremendously high, offers great views of Schroon Lake and the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness to the east. The Peaked Hills of the Blue Ridge range are visible to the west and north.

All of the measured tall pines are located in a small, nearly-pure stand bordering private property, and probably date from 1890 or so. 150' White pines should be appearing in the next decade or so. A second age class, noticeably younger, of pines contains trees up to about 130', and will be interesting to watch in the future. These younger trees are likely slightly under 100 years old and are growing on fairly level terrain with good soil.

As far as I'm aware, the listed Red Maple is the tallest yet measured in the Adirondacks. Severance's topography is conducive to tall hardwoods; the eastern lower slope is cut by several shallow, dry ravines, forcing trees to put on height to compete with their neighbors. I also measured both Northern Red Oak and White Ash to over 105', but had trouble re-locating the trees to confirm the heights after checking out some other spots. Probably due to its low elevation (1000'>), relatively rich soil, and disturbance history, Red Oak is a common canopy tree in several areas on Severance's eastern slope.

Some more wildflower photos:
Canada mayflower fruit
Canada mayflower fruit
Tea berry (Wintergreen)?
Tea berry (Wintergreen)?
White Wood Aster?
White Wood Aster?
Self-heal?
Self-heal?
Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

ElijahW

Re: Hoffman Notch Wilderness Area

Post by ElijahW » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:10 pm

Bob,

This 54' Stripey is my best so far. Huntington Wildlife Forest in Newcomb has three or four over 50', but that's a managed forest, and they'll be cut eventually, I think. 65' is a realistic maximum height, from what I've seen.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Return to “New York”