Schroon River, North Hudson, NY

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ElijahW

Schroon River, North Hudson, NY

Post by ElijahW » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:44 am

NTS,

This will be a short report, and my only pertinent photo didn't turn out well, so I don't have any to share, at least for now.

Saturday, I concluded an exploration of a tiny tributary of the Schroon River in North Hudson, NY. This little spot is one of the most beautiful places I've been in the Adirondacks, a stream with high sand and gravel banks lined with second-growth hemlock and white pine. The undergrowth is luxuriant, a thick layer of ferns overtopped by striped and mountain maple mixed with speckled alder and hardwood saplings.

I was here, of course, for the pines. I didn't find any record-breakers, but I did find a lot of really nice trees. About ten pines exceed 140', and three or four probably make 145'. Generally, the pines are in the 7-9' CBH range, but a few exceed ten feet. The tallest pine measures 150.5' x 8'4". I also found a Balsam fir along the Schroon measuring 103.9' x 4'8".

Based on the bark characteristics and growth forms, the oldest pines seem to date from the mid-to-late 19th century, or about 150 years. This area is full of dead or severely defoliated white pines, excepting the finest ones. I don't know the reason for the defoliation, but the trees appear to have grown very quickly and sometimes close together, and are starting to thin out. Water is plentiful, and the soil appears to be relatively rich. Maybe a disease or pest is responsible?

Hopefully this site is just the tip of the Schroon River iceberg in terms of tall pines. I eventually need to find a more efficient method of exploring, but for now, by foot will work.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Return to “New York”