Hillington Cemetery, Morris, NY

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ElijahW

Hillington Cemetery, Morris, NY

Post by ElijahW » Sat May 21, 2016 10:29 pm

NTS,

Part Two of my NY cemetery series features Hillington Cemetery in Morris, NY. Hillington's main attraction is the large and relatively old Norway Spruces, which likely date from the early twentieth century. A couple of Red Spruce were planted, as well, and one appears a little older than the Norways. Here are my measurements:

Norway Spruce
126.0' x 13'4"
125.0' x 12'10"

Red Spruce
72.9' x 7'7"

Northern white cedar
71.3'
69.5' (both had multiple trunks near ground level)
Red Spruce (center) with Northern white cedars
Red Spruce (center) with Northern white cedars
Most of Hillington's Norways are younger and not much over 100' in height.
Most of Hillington's Norways are younger and not much over 100' in height.
The two tallest Norways have multiple leaders.  The tallest is nearer the road.
The two tallest Norways have multiple leaders. The tallest is nearer the road.
I first measured the two largest Norways in February 2016, with my Nikon 440, and got 132' and 131', respectively. The latest measurements were done using my Trupulse 200x mounted to a tripod. The 6' height discrepancy between the two instruments is an anomaly I don't have an easy answer for, as most other re-measurements I've done with the 200x have been within inches of the 440. Either way, these two trees are probably the largest of their kind I've measured so far, and really stand out. Squirrels seem to like them, too, as evidenced by the large piles of stripped cones at their bases.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Erik Danielsen

Re: Hillington Cemetery, Morris, NY

Post by Erik Danielsen » Sun May 22, 2016 4:02 pm

Very similar to the scene and heights at East Aurora's Oakwood Cemetery! I wonder if the oldest spruces in each are roughly contemporary. Among the variations in form that different strains of Norway display, these also seem very similar in that regard.

ElijahW

Re: Hillington Cemetery, Morris, NY

Post by ElijahW » Sun May 22, 2016 6:27 pm

Erik,

I think you're right about the ages of the two cemeteries. Clinton, NY, home of the former AF champion Norway Spruce, is littered with similar-looking trees. From what I've seen, Depression-era plantations outperform late 19th and early 20th century plantings by a good margin, at least height-wise. As Gaines McMartin has speculated, the difference may also be due to different strains of the species.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Return to “New York”