Sprakers, NY, European Alders

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ElijahW

Sprakers, NY, European Alders

Post by ElijahW » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:13 am

*Edit: I mistakenly identified the trees below as Speckled alder, or Alnus incana rugosa. They are actually European alder, or Alnus glutinosa.

NTS,

For several years, I've driven by scattered clusters of Speckled alder (Alnus incana rugosa) along the Mohawk River. On Saturday morning, I finally got around to measuring one, in the town of Sprakers, in a low spot between NY Rt. 5S and I90 (NYS Thruway). I haven't seen much for maximum dimensions on this species other than what Jess Riddle had measured further west in NY, in Oswego County http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 1&start=20. This is my first up-close experience with Speckled alder, and I think it's an attractive tree. Here are my measurements, with some photos (tallest alder is center-left; I apologize for the clarity of the photo):

Speckled alder

60.2' x 2'10"
DSC00670.JPG
DSC00671.JPG
DSC00672.JPG
This small alder grove grows in the shadow of cottonwoods, which may contribute to their size. In addition to the 60' tree, several others are over 50' tall. Hopefully this thread will spur others on to more alder-related exploits.

Elijah
Last edited by ElijahW on Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Will Blozan

Re: Sprakers, NY, Speckled Alders

Post by Will Blozan » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:25 am

Holy cow! However, are you positive they are not escaped A. glutinosa?

-Will

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:08 pm

I think Will is right on the ID as there are a lot of European alders along the Mohawk River. I drive by them nearly every time I go back to Michigan.

Doug

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:10 pm

Elijah,

I pretty sure Will's correct on the ID. I've seen European black alder just downstream of Sprakers. They certainly stand out.

Jess

tsharp

Post by tsharp » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:55 pm

Elijah, NTS:
The slight indention at the apex of the leaf says it is A. glutinosa.

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:04 pm

Thanks, fellas.

I'll edit the post and stand corrected. What I've assumed in other places to be Speckled alder, or A. rugosa, must have been the same, A. glutinosa. Now I must admit that I have no experience with A. rugosa, but some with A. glutinosa. I had no knowledge of A. glutinosa escaping, but it seems to prolifically along the Mohawk. Taller and larger ones should be found on the north side of the Thruway, between it and the river, but these areas aren't easily accessible.

I was writing a response to Will earlier, but I had to leave for a few hours. The difference between A. rugosa and A. glutinosa became pretty clear with just a little investigation. Thanks again,

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Return to “New York”