Kaaterskill Falls White Ash

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ElijahW

Kaaterskill Falls White Ash

Post by ElijahW » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:49 am

NTS,

As part of an effort to bring the NY maximum height list up to date, on 12/26 I made my first visit to Kaaterskill Falls, our state's supposed highest waterfall, in search of our tallest white ash. As far as I can tell, this tree was last measured in 2006, by Bob Leverett. It was at that point 140.8' tall with a CBH of 10.4'. I believe I found the same tree and it's grown a tad. I settled on 143.6' x 11'3". The CBH was arrived at by wrapping both down-slope and up-slope at 4.5' and averaging the two figures. For an ash, the tree also has an impressive crown. It's quite a specimen.

Two other white ashes came in at 130' and a fraction. Kaaterskill also harbors some very nice sugar maples, yellow and black birch, white pine, and hemlock. The hemlocks seem to be in decline, but I don't know if that's due to the adelgid.

While Kaaterskill is a beautiful place with a rich history, I wouldn't suggest going there on the weekend. It's really too crowded for my comfort, and not set up for the amount of visitors who make the trip - to the point of being unsafe. I didn't take any photos of the ash tree, but I can say it is impressive and seemingly in excellent health.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

dbhguru

Re: Kaaterskill Falls White Ash

Post by dbhguru » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:06 pm

Elijah,

I'm pleased that the ash is still standing. I'm confident that it is the same one Howard Sutoner and I independently measured. There was no other.

Yes, Kaaterskill Falls can be a zoo on weekends and holidays.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “New York”