Cayuga Lake State Park

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ElijahW

Re: Cayuga Lake State Park

Post by ElijahW » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:43 pm

Bob,

Thanks. This list isn't quite ready for the light of day, but here's what I've compiled so far, with much help from Erik, Tom, Bob Henry, Jess, Dale, Howard Stoner, you, and Tom Diggins:
NY Max Height List Master.xlsx
(25.2 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
A couple of IDs are tentative: the Scarlet Oak and Common Pear. According to Erik, a taller Scarlet Oak is likely, and I'm pretty sure about the Pear, but will be 100% when it leafs out this spring. The NY Rucker 10 Height Index is 144.4', and I expect it to stay fairly stable for a while. A tall white pine would help, though, for sure.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:50 pm

Elijah,

I would be mightily surprised if there weren't a white pine exceeding 160 feet somewhere in NY, and I'd guess 165. I don't think it will be in the Dacks. Maybe the Catskills.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:07 pm

Bob,

I agree about the Catskills, and from what I've seen, Red spruce probably did well there, too. What we really need is somebody from the Orange/Delaware County area to join the group and help out.
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:58 am

I'd suggest southeastern NY on the east side of the hudson has potential as well, for white pine and norway spruce as well. Driving up route 22 yesterday watching plantation and regrowth pass my window, along reservoirs and lakes especially, there's a lot of very vigorous conifer growth to look at. May be back up in March.

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:03 pm

NTS,

I remeasured the dogwoods this afternoon, and have a couple of corrections to make. The 56' tree took a hair cut and is really 49.2', while the 38' tree is 42.0'. I knew the shorter tree was measured conservatively last time, but I'm not sure where I screwed up on the taller one. The 51' tree is obviously shorter than the now-49.2' tree, but I did not remeasure it. I apologize for the error. 49.2' is the tallest Flowering dogwood in NY, as far as I know.

I also came across a handful of young-ish chestnut oaks, and the largest one tipped the scale at 97.8' x 4'10". This find was pretty cool for me, as chestnut oak is uncommon in this area, and the ones we do have are typically short and stout.

Happy Easter,

Elijah

Return to “New York”