Holland Patent Cemetery

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tomhoward

Holland Patent Cemetery

Post by tomhoward » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:15 pm

NTS,

On our way to Pack Forest, Elijah Whitcomb and I stopped at Holland Patent Cemetery, the site of central NY’s largest White Pine. Elijah had been there recently, and he measured a 124 ft. tall White Pine in the old 2nd growth forest on the steep hill at the back of the cemetery. This is the tallest known White Pine in central NY. There are some hardwoods in this forest, including Black Cherry, Ash.

I measured a Black Cherry to 101 ft., and Elijah measured a White Ash next to it to 108 ft.

The biggest White Pine, the largest in central NY, is in the middle of the cemetery, and is still alive (and seems healthier than when I last visited it Oct. 6, 2012); the right (south) side is not healthy, with a big scar at the base, but the left (north) side is green and healthy. This is what I got for the biggest White Pine’s height: 113.13 ft.

Dbh of the big Pine: 57.8” (15.14 ft. cbh)

Tom Howard

ElijahW

Re: Holland Patent Cemetery

Post by ElijahW » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:56 pm

NTS,

Sadly, the Holland Patent Pine was removed earlier this year due to concerns about its structural integrity. Of the Pine’s multiple original leaders, only one was still living, and I think taking the tree down preemptively was the proper course of action.

I was able to track down the butt log, and was given permission to look it over and count the growth rings; I also took a few photos, which are included below. The Pine had ~143 growth rings at ~8’ from the base. The butt log was pretty solid, but much of the bark was gone. What was left of the stump in the cemetery had a substantial amount of rot near ground level. Here are the photos:
Butt log side view
Butt log side view
Base of butt log
Base of butt log
Top of second log section
Top of second log section
This tree was slightly over 15’ CBH and about 110’ tall when last measured. It was taller in its prime, perhaps 130’ or so.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Return to “New York”