White Pine Growth Rates Newcomb, NY

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ElijahW

Re: White Pine Growth Rates Newcomb, NY

Post by ElijahW » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:56 pm

NTS,

I remeasured the Huntington Wildlife Forest Tamarack this afternoon. It put on 1' in height and 1" in girth in the last growing season. I also calculated the average crown spread, using the spoke method. Here are the tree's current dimensions:

Height: 130.0'
CBH: 77"
Average crown spread: 30'
AF Champion points: 214

The current NY champion for this species scores 178 points, so I'll likely be nominating this tree. Some photos from today:
DSC01082.JPG
DSC01083.JPG
DSC01088.JPG
Peace,

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:49 am

Elijah,

Congratulations. I really enjoy your Adirondack discoveries/confirmations. We don't have a RHI on the Dacks as a whole, do we? I think we can do justice to white pine, hemlock, tamarack, red spruce, and a couple of hardwood species. But beyond those, do we have a sufficiently good measure of others to do justice to the region's RHI? I hit 122 on a white ash in the Piseco Lake region years ago. That's my best on hardwoods in the Dacks.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:50 am

Thanks, Bob.

I just posted a thread containing an up to date RHI on the Adirondacks. If you see any errors, please let me know, and I'll get them corrected.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:59 am

NTS,

On June 29, I returned to Newcomb to check on the White Pine plantation. So far, I’ve documented 14 trees over 140’ in height, though none exceeding 150’; no doubt several additional trees would make my list if I had more time to survey the area. The tallest now is 147’ and some change.

I was also able to get a good measurement for the species height champion Tamarack (131.6’ x 6.52’) and the Adirondack White Spruce height champion (120.6’ x 6’).

I highly recommend a visit to Huntington Forest (and Newcomb in general) for anyone in the area; it’s a beautiful place. Just beware the wide variety of biting insects.

Elijah

Return to “New York”