Green Lakes - Tick Danger

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Bart Bouricius

Re: Green Lakes - Tick Danger

Post by Bart Bouricius » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:40 am

Here are the tick born diseases you can get in the Northeastern US: Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, Ehrlichiosis and Babesiosis. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Ehrlichiosis can be worse than Lyme Disease. Joe's suggestions are excellent, but I also use Sawyer Permethrin to wash my clothes in or to spray on my clothes. Using this and what Joe suggests is probably the best you can do.

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:01 pm

Unfortunately the Lone Star tick has somehow become established on long island, so Alpha-gal allergy can also be added to that list. Cases are increasing. Seems pretty localized for now, at least.

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:48 pm

We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

sam goodwin

Post by sam goodwin » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:24 pm

Knocking on wood did not help, we came out of the woods today and a tick was climbing my wife's leg. We follow all the listed guidelines but some still sneak in. Sam

tomhoward

Post by tomhoward » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:20 pm

I hope none of us tree measurers and tree lovers gets Lyme Disease.

Green Lakes is indeed an extraordinary forest for so far north. Few forests in upstate NY have trees above 130 ft. tall. Most of Green Lakes, however, is not so impressive. Most areas have trees up to 120 ft. tall at most (usually much less than 120 ft.). The really tall tree area is a small section, possibly about 6 acres in size, a sheltered hollow called the Tuliptree Cathedral. The tallest White Pine (an isolated tree at the south end of Green Lake), tallest White Ash, tallest Cottonwood, tallest Hemlock are outside the Tuliptree Cathedral. The Tuliptree Cathedral includes all trees in central NY above 134 ft. tall, and also includes the 113 ft. Red Maple, and a Butternut over 107 ft. tall. As far as I know, the Green Lakes Tuliptree Cathedral is the only site with Tuliptrees over 140 ft. tall this far north. So Green Lakes should hold the latitude record for Tuliptree, and it could also hold the latitude record for Hickory with the 140.1 ft. Bitternut Hickory.

Here is the Rucker Index with, as far as I know, the NTS records for species (the Rucker just posted is the Rucker of our outing Apr. 26):

Tuliptree 147.9 (2015)
Bitternut Hickory 140.1 (2015)
Hemlock 133.1 (2015)
White Ash 130.7 (2015)
Basswood 123.7 (2011)
White Pine 123.2 (2013)
Beech 122.8 (2011)
Sugar Maple 122.6 (2011)
Black Cherry 118.9 (2011)
Cottonwood 117.7 (2011)

Rucker 10: 128.07 ft.
Rucker 5: 135.1 ft.

Tom Howard

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:16 am

Tom,
Those are some impressive numbers! Many sites in the tall tree states don't compare. What else lurks in NY?
Brian

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Sun May 03, 2015 9:37 am

NTS,

I really enjoyed the trip to Green Lakes with Tom and Bob Henry, and thankfully, I escaped with no ticks attached. I agree with Tom's assessment that Green Lakes should be avoided, at least in the warm-weather months. Personally, I'll probably stay away until next winter sets in.

The most exciting part of the outing for me was confirming the 130' white ash. I had seen it previously, but not had time to measure it. Before this day, I don't think I'd seen an ash over 115' or so in person. The larch and douglas fir were also interesting, given their relative youth and protected location: Likely CCC plantation trees, they should be about 80 years old and have plenty of growing to do.

I was disappointed to leave without topping 150' on a tulip tree, but we really tried, and it seems that we've hit the ceiling at about 148', at least for now, and with our current equipment. A slope between the tulip tree cathedral area and Round Lake is a nearly-pure stand of young, vigorous tulip trees, so the incredible heights at this site should continue long into the future. Below I've posted several photos of our visit to Green Lakes - enjoy. Thanks to Tom and Bob for joining me on this trip.

Oh yeah, I also got a personal-best hophornbeam at 74.6' and 3'3" cbh.

Elijah
Bob Henry in deep contemplation amongst the likely old-growth sugar bush behind the convent
Bob Henry in deep contemplation amongst the likely old-growth sugar bush behind the convent
Convent woods:  note the number of downed logs.  Average canopy height here is about 105'.
Convent woods: note the number of downed logs. Average canopy height here is about 105'.
Crazy-looking sugar maple; Bob Henry on left, Tom Howard in foreground.  Note the pit and mound with downed log in center.
Crazy-looking sugar maple; Bob Henry on left, Tom Howard in foreground. Note the pit and mound with downed log in center.
Tom Howard and Bob Henry pose with a woodpecker-frequented sugar maple snag.
Tom Howard and Bob Henry pose with a woodpecker-frequented sugar maple snag.
Closeup of same snag
Closeup of same snag
Tom Howard in foreground.  140.1' Bitternut Hickory next to tulip tree in center.
Tom Howard in foreground. 140.1' Bitternut Hickory next to tulip tree in center.
Typical Green Lakes tulip tree cathedral view
Typical Green Lakes tulip tree cathedral view
More of the same
More of the same
122' American Beech, center-left
122' American Beech, center-left
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun May 03, 2015 11:02 am

Elijah, Tom, Bob Henry,

Super posts from western NY - as always. When are you all going to join us in the American Forests National Cadre? You are perfectly positioned to give superb coverage to western NY. All of you are prolific tree measurers and you stay on top of the numbers. You know what to expect and where, so when a really special tree is discovered, you quickly recognize it. That kind of knowledge/experience is darn hard to come by. It doesn't seem to exist among most of the professional groups where you would expect it to flourish. We'd love to have you join us.

BTW, I'll be in Ithaca, NY in early August. Monica has a music festival at Cornell. I hope we can connect during that time.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Sat May 09, 2015 12:33 pm

Bob,

I can't speak for Tom or Bob, but I'd love to visit with you in August. For me to go, it would have to be on the weekend, as I'm working during the week. This would also be my limitation regarding the cadre. Thanks for the invitation; it's something I'd like to do, but I don't have much time to commit to it. Hopefully we'll be able to meet up at Cornell. Thanks for the compliments,

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

tomhoward

Post by tomhoward » Sun May 10, 2015 6:58 pm

Bob.

Thank you for inviting me to the National Cadre. it is a great honor.

I'd love to meet you in Ithaca in Aug. I hope we can arrange it.

Tom Howard

Return to “New York”