Adirondack Project

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Adirondack Project

Post by dbhguru » Fri May 16, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi Folks,

With the help of some stalwart Adirondack residents, I have taken on a larger project that I can really handle. It is the measurement and documentation of legacy trees in the Dacks. Here is the criteria I'm planning to use.
Screen shot 2014-05-17 at 4.26.36 PM.png
Screen shot 2014-05-17 at 4.26.36 PM.png (54.98 KiB) Viewed 690 times
More species will be added as time goes on, but this is a start. So far, I have 12 sites identified with white pines in the 130-foot height class. There are many more, but confirming them is going to require boots on the ground. Anyone interested in joining the party?

This project is being done in support of on-going conservation efforts to highlight the exceptional forests and trees of the Dacks. The idea is that we not lose sight of quality in the pursuit of quantity.

On this last trip, just concluded, I set a new personal height record for red spruce with a 115.5-foot tall, 7.5-foot girth specimen growing on the south side of Mason Lake. More to come, with images.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Erik Danielsen

Re: Adirondack Project

Post by Erik Danielsen » Sat May 17, 2014 2:59 pm

I aim to get up to the Dacks sometime this summer and would certainly like to participate. Normally I'll spend a while backpacking deep in the high peaks; anything that needs checking out in that region? I also have friends up the road from Paul Smith's College so could spend some time over that way.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat May 17, 2014 8:33 pm

Erik,

We need threshold data from all areas of the Dacks. Any thing you can add, will be appreciated. Just use the table with the values I previously sent.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:28 pm

Bob,

Just north of Schroon Lake, Severance Mountain appears to have many white pines in the 125-140' class. I only took one laser shot, as I needed to keep moving up the mountain, but got 41-42 yards with my Nikon 440. The shot wasn't quite straight up, but it also didn't quite reach the high point of the tree's crown. Like you've written in the past on the Schroon Lake area, the forest appears to be old second-growth, but a little bit may be virgin. I-87 is very close by, but a visit may require a couple of miles' walk. A few hemlocks in the same area may also meet your criteria, but are not nearly as impressive. I plan to return and measure more, but it may not be until next fall.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

Return to “New York”